Talk

Advanced search

Hobbies/interests for a girly DD (5)?

(9 Posts)
changer22 Sat 08-Aug-09 12:38:42

We have a very girly girl and are struggling to find/cultivate interesting things for her to do.

Her older brother (7) loves Lego, Star Wars, Dr Who, Wally books, etc. and can amuse himself happily for hours playing with toys, drawing robots, - that kind of thing.

DD on the other hand wants make up and that's about it. We're finding it difficult when it comes to treats/rewards/present buying for her (once you've put on some lipstick what next?!). She's very bright but not at the stage where she wants to write/read independently although I think she will love that in a year or so. In the meantime we have this gap.

I bought her some Hama beads at Christmas but that didn't go down very well and she's struggled with knitting. More ambitious art activities are off limits at the moment with a newborn and a toddler to look after too.

She's outgrown the HappyLand type toys and we're at a bit of a loss as to how to encourage her to play and amuse herself.

Any suggestions?

YouLukaAmazing Sat 08-Aug-09 12:45:48

Message withdrawn

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 08-Aug-09 12:56:51

My dsd sounds quite similar and is also 5. She likes Barbies and will spend some time dressing/undressing them, brushing hair etc. She's got a "princess" one complete with horse and carriage which she particularly likes. She's also got one of those hideous Girl's World dolls head things and will do hair/make up etc on that.

Would you be better with an activity instead. Dsd has just started have some pony riding lessons which she absolutely loves. They're obviously not that cheap but perhaps could be saved up for lots of treats/rewards/presents etc.

DeathbyDora Sat 08-Aug-09 13:04:18

Paper dolls? My DD is also very girlie and LOVES any kind of dressing up dolls. You can get the paper ones with tabs or for a bit more you can find the magnetic ones. She loves trying on all the different outfits.
Other than that, I have a big box full of bits of paper, stickers, shiny shapes etc. and a couple of pritt sticks for 'sticking' sessions. She also enjoys cutting things out of old magazines, painting and jigsaw puzzles. If I'm really desperate I get the glitter out....

I know what you mean though, there are some days when she has the attention span of a goldfish and just wants me to DO stuff with her the whole day!

gigglewitch Sat 08-Aug-09 13:06:13

have you tried story cd's - perhaps with a book to follow as well?

gigglewitch Sat 08-Aug-09 13:07:41

(princess stories, obvwink)

ohh, and stuff with stickers, preferably glittery and sparkly. grin

tea set, dolls house, anything like that?

Elk Sat 08-Aug-09 13:22:27

My dd1 (age 6) loves
beading - making necklaces and bracelets, painting on china,
sticker books,
Doll dressing books (there is a lovely rainbow fairy one at the moment).
She collects tacky china bought cheaply at car boots.
Playmobil have a fairy tale range she likes (as does dd2 - 4)

pranma Sun 09-Aug-09 12:50:47

Making jewellery is very popular with my dgd who is 5.You can get kits of wooden beads and some plastic glittery ones.If you have a TKMaxx near they have some super sets for £4.99.Things like Pets Hospital,Polly Pocket or Sylvanian families are great too.

paisleyleaf Sun 09-Aug-09 12:58:26

Colouring in, cutting and sticking, jewelry -threading beads, making pom poms, hula hoop, basket ball hoop, small world stuff (sylvanians/playmobile/polly pockets etc), fuzzy felt, jigsaws, lego, playdough or similar, dressing up,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now