Talk

Advanced search

Lack of speech in 19month old

(19 Posts)
traceybath Thu 06-Aug-09 12:10:31

DS2 is just over 19 months old and just doesn't say any clear words.

He babbles/sings lots and is very good at understanding instructions, eg, pick your pyjams up and put them in the linen basket.

But he just points and babbles. I talk to him lots and try to encourage him to speak and he can make lots of different sounds and has in the past said words like dada, mama etc.

He's very laid back and i wonder if he's just a little lazy. But part of me is now getting a bit worried.

At what point should i really worry and is there anything i can do to encourage his speech development. We read lots and he loves books . . .

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 06-Aug-09 12:12:19

Hi Hvae you spoken to your HV?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 06-Aug-09 12:14:55

how is he with eye contact etc? how is his behavior. u need to talk to ur health visitor see what the say.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 06-Aug-09 12:17:54

DD is the same; she's 19 months on Monday. She babbles all the time, has said duck since she was about 8 months old but that's it really. She also understands instructions and can give them out hmm but duck, bye and yes are her only words.

She was very early physically, walking at 9 months so I've always just assumed that she concentrates more on that sort of thing. I don't really know what they are 'supposed' to be doing at this age as far as speech is concerned, I try not to look at those developmental charts. So, I don't know if it's time to worry yet but just so you know your ds is not the only one

traceybath Thu 06-Aug-09 12:17:56

Brilliant with eye contact and if i say so myself generally very sociable, waves, points, kisses, hugs etc.

I'm not worried about anything really other than his lack of speech.

We've switched GP surgeries so waiting to see new HV as have just had dc3 - will mention it to her when i see her.

traceybath Thu 06-Aug-09 12:20:05

Thanks Eyeballs. DS2 has said a few words a while ago including 'tractor' and 'land rover' or close approximations of but once he's said them he just seems to not be bothered about saying them again.

DH apparently was a slow talker and didn't string words together until 2.5 years according to mil.

DS1 just spoke a lot earlier but i guess i shouldn't compare really.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 06-Aug-09 12:23:34

It's hard not to though, isn't it?

RGPargy Thu 06-Aug-09 12:23:58

My friend's DD said nothing but "wassat?" for months and months when she was roughly the same age and then suddenly, practically over night, out spurted all these words and she now has a fab vocabulary!

traceybath Thu 06-Aug-09 12:27:09

Thanks RG - DH does keep reminding me of the Einstein thing about him not talking untill he was 4 although am sure thats probably not true.

DS2 has been an incredibly laid back child and is very cuddly and just seems happy to point and wait for either me or his big brother to respond.

Woooozle100 Thu 06-Aug-09 12:42:32

my ds is the same

I'm not worried. I'm trying to do some of the stuff my dd's SALT advised me to:- keeping language clear and simple, commentating on what I / he is doing and repeating it lots (oh you have got the car, x is holding the car, look at the car in yr hand - with a toy obv he's not baby geoff capes ) and then when he points at something and gos 'uugghhhh' I try and encourage him to use the words (oh banana. Do you want a banana? Ahhhh! x wants a banana)

Thing is - why do they need to talk if you understand what they want and give it them? Er I mean, what's their motivation to talk

I would be more concerned about lack of understanding / innability to follow simple instructions / lack of eye contact / no pointing etc

hannahsaunt Thu 06-Aug-09 12:55:24

A good friend who is a senior SALT thinks that ds3 at 23mo is absolutely fine with his 12-14 words as he understands complex instructions and can communication extrememly effectively with grunts and gestures. It's all in there and will come out when he's ready. Birth order can have quite a lot to do with this.

shinyshoes Thu 06-Aug-09 12:59:51

My 20 mo dosen't say anything. No clear words. I'm not too worried tbh

EyeballsintheSky Thu 06-Aug-09 13:01:28

Well dd definitely understands

BTW Pixie, you've just inspired me. I'm stuck at home and I'm sick of CBeebies. I know what I'm going to watch!

stings Thu 06-Aug-09 14:02:14

Ds is 21 months and doesn't really say anything either but understands every word you say to him, uses gestures, points, babbles.

I had him checked for glue ear on the advice of my hv. He was all clear but when I mentioned lack of speech to the gp he said there is such a big range of development and not to worry.

Sheeta Thu 06-Aug-09 14:08:39

20mo and we've got a few words here, mostly 'wassat' repeated ad infinitim. (it's a penguin, an elephant, a clock, the wall, my feet, your feet, yes - that's my nose, OW my eyes - you get the picture) but he can't SAY any of these. Big on the animal noises though.

My lovely MIL was talking about DP as a baby the other day - he didn't talk until he was 2yo and just grunted (nothing much has changed grin)

Her GP told her that he didn't need to talk as she anticipated his every need

posieparkerinChina Thu 06-Aug-09 14:12:21

DS1.. didn't utter anything meaningful until he was way over two
DS2.... sentences at 13 months
No difference in their intellect at three..

Just wanted you to know that it doesn't mena anything when they start to talk, don't want you to start drawing conclusions which is what I did.

traceybath Fri 07-Aug-09 07:19:34

Thanks so much for your responses. I'm feeling a lot more reassured now smile.

cyberseraphim Fri 07-Aug-09 09:56:14

Speech is the icing on the cake - and if the rest of the cake/communication is there ( and it seems to be in the OP's case) there shouldn't be a problem with speech coming. Will he spontaneously look for your attention and want to share attention with you? Onset of speech in the normal range of development can vary- although not to the extent that grannies' anecdotes can stretch it !

wrinklytum Fri 07-Aug-09 10:01:37

He sounds fine.I bet at some stage between 2-3 it will all slot into place and he will be chatting away and you will post abvout being sick of the comment "Why?".

If you ARE worried,seek a salt appt.

But he sounds fine,and I say this a s a mummy of a severly speech delayed dc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now