Talk

Advanced search

20 Month old takes nappy off after every wee!!!

(10 Posts)
Knakard Thu 06-Aug-09 07:01:15

I wouldn't mind and just change him if it wasn't for the fact he probably does 20 + wees a day!

Doesn't do this outside but if we are in the house and he has a wee in his nappy (only tiny ones) he immediatley takes off him trousers and nappy.

We had a day at home all day yesterday due to both being under the weather and he went through nearly 20 nappies.

Is this normal? Any ideas how to stop him doing this?

Thanks.

belgo Thu 06-Aug-09 07:03:47

Start potty training. He obviously doesn't like being in a wet nappy.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 06-Aug-09 07:04:24

I've only got a DD aged 16 mths but could he be ready for potty training?

Knakard Thu 06-Aug-09 07:08:34

We have done bits and pieces of potty training, We have some nappy off time in the evening with a potty handy and if he looks like hes going to/starts to pee we put him on the potty. Have had the odd succes with it.

I just thought he was still to young, from what i have read on here i though the idea was to wait till he was a bit older and wed crack it in a few days rather than battle before they really understand?

belgo Thu 06-Aug-09 07:15:22

knackered - my children were potty trained at 19 months and 23 months. They had the odd accident but that was normal as they learnt how to control themselves through experience.

I have read about parents waiting until two and a half or three years to start potty training and it seems to me that many of them are still having problems potty training months later.

If he is taking off his nappy after weeing, then I would take that as a clear sign he doesn't want to wear a nappy and could very well be ready for potty training.

Knakard Thu 06-Aug-09 07:49:30

Thanks belgo - im off to buy some pants!

purepurple Thu 06-Aug-09 07:50:15

Start potty training
I work in a nursery and we have some early starters, so he is not too young.
The big problem with lots of children is that they don't know when they need to wee.
Recognising when he has weed is a big step and should be encouraged.
It is still a big jump from knowing when he has weed to knowing when he needs to wee.
I would suggest putting him on the potty when he takes his nappy off after a wee, as some children only do half a wee.
I know of some parents who put the pants on underneath the nappy, so the child can really feel the wetness. Might this save a few nappies?

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 06-Aug-09 07:54:14

Good luck!

horseymum Wed 12-Aug-09 14:02:21

not too young to start, just go gently and don't expect too much. dd dry at 15 months, ds at 25 months

penona Wed 12-Aug-09 14:08:00

Am watching this one. My 25mth DD has started doing this too.
I left her without nappy on for a day with the potty near so she could go (she usually uses it after her bath and is quite familiar with it), but she totally freaked out about it and got v v distressed, then insisted on putting a nappy back on to do a wee then take it off agin once dirty!! Not sure what to do now, we are going through alot of nappies but she doesn't seem quite ready to make the leap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now