Talk

Advanced search

Success stories wanted for changing faddy eating habits in 5 year old please

(14 Posts)
reikizen Wed 05-Aug-09 15:11:58

DD1 has a very limited range of food she will eat, she has always been the same since babyhood. It is limiting what we eat as a family and I really must do something about it. Does anyone have a success story and tips for how you went about it please? (I'm not a complete failure btw as DD2 eats anything and everything!) wink

paisleyleaf Wed 05-Aug-09 15:15:03

My nephew's having stickers for trying something new everyday....he seems happy.

juuule Wed 05-Aug-09 15:17:39

Why is it limiting what you eat as a family.
I've had faddy eaters. They seem to grow out of it eventually.

Try not to stress about it. Just keep offering whatever everyone else is eating or make suggestions of other things.

reikizen Wed 05-Aug-09 15:22:21

It limits what we eat because its that or make two separate meals each night iyswim. I'm not stressed as such, just bored! For example I'm making lentil dahl tonight as that's the kind of thing I like but I know DD1 will not even take a mouthful! Did you just say 'Have what we are having or nothing' or did you go the separate meal route until they grew out of it?

juuule Wed 05-Aug-09 15:24:59

Seperate meal route.

juuule Wed 05-Aug-09 15:26:19

Separateblush

screamingabdab Wed 05-Aug-09 19:00:38

Have a look at this old thread, to which I contributed at great length. As you can see, this is a topic close to my heart !

I have made great strides with DS1 (now 8), but mistrust of new food will always be an issue.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=behaviour_development&threadid=725137-HELP

screamingabdab Wed 05-Aug-09 19:05:27

reikizen lentil dahl would be stretch for many children, I suspect, because of the texture, the sloppiness, and the mixed-up-edness grin

reikizen Thu 06-Aug-09 09:44:26

I know, that was a bad example! But as the only things she will eat are potatoes, baked beans, cheese, pasta, spag bol and sausage rolls anythng is a stretch! Thanks for the link.

MadameCastafiore Thu 06-Aug-09 09:52:33

Does she not eat any fruit or veg? WHat you have listed is a really bad diet!

DS is nearly 5 and we just decided that he could have what we were having - or what his big sister was having or go hungry.

Some things he decided that he would eat, he is very keen on fish and will eat new potaties and carrots now and all kinds of pasta, he eats salad and proper meat rather than processed stuff which is all he would touch with regards to meat before.

You have to tell them what you are going to do, in a very light hearted way, then you do it and you continue doing it, although for only one meal a day - but you must make sure they are hungry for that meal. And you do not give in - you just keep going till they realise that this si what life and mealtimes consist of now.

With DS we said 4 spoonfuls and we only tried one new thing every night.

claw3 Thu 06-Aug-09 11:09:51

My 5 year old, has eaten the exact same meal every night since he was able to eat. 2 x smiley face and a yogurt.

Not much help, but i can sympathise.

juuule Thu 06-Aug-09 13:59:06

I don't think what was listed is a particularly bad diet for a 5yo.

"potatoes, baked beans, cheese, pasta, spag bol and sausage rolls"

At a glance:-
Carbs - potatoes, pasta, spaghetti
protein - beans, meat in the bolognaise and some in the sausage roll.
calcium - cheese
fats - sausage roll and hard cheeses. Children (particularly if they are active) do need a certain amount of fats.

Vit.C in the potatoes.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a really bad diet.

One of mine ate seemingly not much more than waffles, bananas and yoghurt for a long time.

Reikizen Keep a note of what he eats on a daily basis for a while.
Does he like fresh orange juice (instead of fruit if he won't eat fruit)?
Does he eat a breakfast cereal. Most are fortified with extra vitamins? If he will have milk on it then you've the added bonus of milk otherwise if he prefers to eat it dry then let him.
Would he make a fruit salad with you and eat it?
Try to get him to cook/bake with you. Let him choose the recipe. Modify it to suit him. Leave off or include ingredients to suit his taste. e.g I've had one who would only eat cheese pizza (no tomato). It was a start and they slowly added other stuff.

If he likes jam do something like jam scones or jam tarts. It's sugary but if you use a jam high in fruit then that's a start for the fruit.

Try veg cooked or uncooked. Some of mine won't touch cooked carrots or peppers but will eat them raw.

But mostly don't worry. He will grow out of it as long as you make a variety of food available. If you are eating a varied diet and always offer him some then at least he will be aware of lots of different foods.

reikizen Thu 06-Aug-09 15:04:52

Feel much better now! She does eat fruit but literally gags on veg so that makes mealtimes a tad unpleasant! Great advice all round, will start tonight!

juuule Thu 06-Aug-09 17:54:29

Glad to hear you are feeling better about things, now.

And apologies for referring to your dd as he.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now