Talk

Advanced search

10 month old wont put anything in her mouth

(5 Posts)
CandC Wed 05-Aug-09 14:20:43

Hi
My 10 month old dd has never put anything near or in her mouth. I can remember her older brother putting things eg toys bath sponges etc up to his mouth to investigate them. I remember mentioning this to my lifestart worker who said this was unusual.The only thing I can think of is when she was younger she would scratch at patches of Excema and I did keep mittens on her.
This has now become more of a problem that she is weaned and eating well off a spoon. But will not make any attempt to finger feed. I am always leaving food (peas, crusts of bread, carrots etc) on her highchair tray for her to pick up and put towards her mouth. I was also told to try chocolate buttons to try and tempt her. She will lift the things sometimes but once I try and direct anything near to her mouth she just drops them and sits with her mouth open until you put it in for her.
I would be grateful if anyone else has experienced this and if you would have any advice tips that might help
TIA

StinkyFart Wed 05-Aug-09 14:26:13

try not to direct her hands

also have you tried her with a treasure basket to encourage exploration of her world

peanut08 Wed 05-Aug-09 20:05:41

Not much to add but I have an 11 month old who is exactly the same (although he has developmental delay so I'm trying to go easy). Has she any teeth yet? DS has recently shown more interest now his first tooth has appeared have also tried the HV's suggestion of pouring some yoghurt on the highchair tray to play with and hopefully lick off his fingers with some success. Will watch this with interest smile

Eveiebaby Wed 05-Aug-09 20:37:12

Hi Candc

My DD has just turned three but I remember as a baby she did not put anything in her mouth to explore or investigate toys etc... She was slow to finger feed as well she did not get the hang of it until about 22 months and that was only because we spent a few days guiding her hand. We would break a biscuit into pieces and place our hand over her hand and pick the biscuit up to guide it in her mouth. Hope this helps x

CandC Wed 05-Aug-09 22:06:25

Thanks peanut08 for your advice I will try the yogurt thing tomorrow. Yes she has teeth two on the bottom and three coming through up top. She doesn't seem to be having any problems teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now