Talk

Advanced search

My 2.5 year old daughter not showing any interest in potty training.

(7 Posts)
pigletmania Tue 04-Aug-09 22:58:05

Just wandered if you lovely people could help, I am at my wits end. My 2.5 year old daughter shows no readiness for potty training, she does not really recognise when she has been for a wee or poo, she has on the odd occasion mentioned when she has gone for a wee or poo but shows no interest in what she produces, not even pointing to her nappy or any signals that she has gone. I have been putting her on her potty for about 3-4 moths everyday every 2 hours but still no interest. I should have thought that she would get the picture by now but no.

I tried putting her in pants the other day, when she had an accident she did not say anything just carried on playing regardless of being wet/dirty, i think that she is quite happy to wallow in her own poo. I want her to be potty trainined NOW!!!

Anyone any advice please.

pigletmania Tue 04-Aug-09 23:01:13

my dd is quite a babyish 2.5 year old, and is still quite little so i dont know if she is just not ready yet. I just feel really down as it seems as al the toddlers i know that are her age are ready for potty training and interested but dd is not.

liahgen Tue 04-Aug-09 23:02:30

she's not ready. Put the potty away, it's not a race and when she is ready it'll be a doddle.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but too much pressure on mums and children to do everything at a certain age.

She's still very young, all children develop at their own pace.

truthisinthewine Tue 04-Aug-09 23:02:51

Can you not just leave it for a bit? Why does it have to be now? You say she is showing no readiness.

My DD was exactly the same as yours, she is slightly older as she will be 3 in September and I never ever thought she would potty train, was more than happy sitting in poo and would get really annoyed if I suggested in sitting on the potty.

Then 2 weeks ago she just announced she needed a wee, so we sat on the potty and she did one, since then we have had one accident when she was half way up the stairs and I don't think she could decide whether to go up or down, I don't even need to ask her if she needs a wee/poo she'll just go and do it when she is ready.

My advice would be to leave it for now, comletely, don't mention the potty at all or try and get her to sit on it...she will get there.

simpson Tue 04-Aug-09 23:05:16

sounds like it is a bit early for her TBH.

My DS was about 2.10 when he was ready for potty/toilet training.

We tried at 2.8 and he did not have a clue bless him so tried again a couple of month later.

It might be worth buying a book about using the potty in a fun/story like way iyswim. I think M&S do a good one.

feedthegoat Tue 04-Aug-09 23:06:27

I didn't start potty training until the month before ds was 3. I tried at about 2.5 but he had no idea what he was meant to do so we went back to nappies after a few days. It was a lot easier when we tried the second time.

pigletmania Tue 04-Aug-09 23:06:44

Thanks everyone, i was thinking along the same lines but as dd is my only child i have no experience of it and just wanted the advice of more experienced mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now