Talk

Advanced search

Ds refusing dinners/savoury food

(7 Posts)
Claire2009 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:39:06

Ds is 2.3yo.

Breakfast, he eats a bit. Not much..

Lunch, barely touches it.

Dinner, maybe 1-2 mouthfuls then mess's around with it so I take it away (sauce in her, all over table etc..)

He screams for a yoghurt after an uneaten dinner, usually I give him one, but tonight I refused, distracted him and bathed and put him to bed ...he went to sleep fine.

Is this a phase? He's 33/34lbs and in 3-4 sized clothing, he's pretty tall (taller than 3.5yo dd) so I suppose him not eating much isn't a huge worry - he's not underweight nor overweight.

What should I be doing? I don't want to 'give in' but also I don't want to starve him!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 04-Aug-09 22:44:21

You won't starve him.

There's edible food presented to him three times a day and he can eat it if he wants to.

(i know it's hard really, but you do need to stick to your guns)

Claire2009 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:45:50

Ok, thanks

Do I give yoghurt despite him not eating dinner then?

littleboyblue Tue 04-Aug-09 22:51:54

I normally still give a yoghurt or fruit or cake or whatever regardless of him eating dinner or not because I don't want him to think of one food as better than the other iyswim?
I don't reward my ds with food.

Like Mary, I think, my ds know's it's food and if he was hungry, he would eat it. I don't, however, let him snack throughout the day/evening. A piece of fruit or cake or whatever for pudding as normal to finish off mal, but then nothing else until next meal time.
Ds1 is 2

GrimmaTheNome Tue 04-Aug-09 22:55:49

Theres nothing sacred about 'savory' food - if its the saltiness he objects too (which it may or may not be) so long as he gets nutrition with enough protein and not too much sugar. Will he eat things like Ready Brek? how about plainer food like unsauced pasta or unsalted scrambled egg. Will he eat plain Greek yogurt or is it that he will only eat sweet food - wouldn't be so good to allow that.

But Mary is right, he won't starve himself.

Oh, does he drink a lot of milk still? Thats nutritious all right but might quash his appetite for solid food.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 04-Aug-09 22:58:42

I wouldn't offer the sweet stuff personally... but then I might be mean. Except fruit.

Claire2009 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:58:53

He doesn't drink milk unless it's on cereal, he used to eat any cereal but will now have 2-3 spoonfuls and be done.
It's like there's more important things to be doing than eating grin

He refused scrambled egg earlier, wouldn't try it and usually he likes it.

I think I'll leave him to it but still give yoghurts/pudding.

He drinks a fair amount of diluted juice..

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now