Talk

Advanced search

Learning to walk, and then forgetting how to after illness

(8 Posts)

My DD learned to walk 2 weeks ago and was quite good at it for 3 days. Since then she's been really ill with an infection and has only just recovered. The weird thing is that she seems to have forgotten she can walk & is now crawling everywhere again.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience where a baby learns to do something & then stops for another few weeks as if it'd never happened?

TIA

usernametaken Tue 04-Aug-09 22:00:37

We had exactly the same thing. DD was walking across the room quite happily, then 3 days later she started getting her first 2 teeth through. That was it, she was miserable for 2 weeks and in that time just plonked herself down and chewed things. After 2 weeks she started getting up and cruising and within a day or two was back to walking again.

waitingforbedtime Tue 04-Aug-09 22:03:17

Its probably not that she's forgotten, just that she's still a bit wiped.
Ds walked at 10m and was walking loads, he got a terrible chest infection at pretty much bang on 12 months (Xmas day to be exact, great timing!) and he reverted to crawling most of the time for a wee while.

Thanks ladies. I was wondering whether it was something to do with being too tired. She was only 9 months when she started walking so she's still pretty little.

screamingabdab Wed 05-Aug-09 18:46:12

Yes, really normal

3littlefrogs Wed 05-Aug-09 18:47:39

Absolutely normal. Little children do regress when they have been ill.

Can you tell she's a PFB & I have no idea what I'm doing? grin

screamingabdab Wed 05-Aug-09 19:41:51

That's what us wise oldsters are here for grin

I, of course, know everything about child-rearing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now