Talk

Advanced search

Son 3yrs 8mths won't pee standing up...

(14 Posts)
michelle2706 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:20:41

he has to sit down. He gets quite hysterical when we try and get him to pee standing up. It's made harder by the fact that since he was a tiny baby he doesn't like anyone touching his willy. To wash, wipe, clean has always been a complete nightmare!

He is the only little boy I know who does not touch his willy, he can poke/push it after gentle persuasion, or sometimes he will just gently press it, but he will not lift it up with his fingers not if you said he could eat all the chocolate in the world...

I bought the Max Balls last week to put in the toilet, but he sits as far back as he can pushes his willy down and aims at the ball.

He poos like a star on the loo, but can't get his head around peeing standing up.

I have asked dh to show him, but he's private about that and can't bring himself to let ds watch him pee.

I'm getting so upset and frustrated that I can't get him to do this. Does anyone have any tips to help me help him pee.

His cousin is 3 days older (he has 2 older brothers) and he has peed standing up for absolutely ages!

Aaaghhh my poor boy, we're going to end up traumatising him as he gets so upset.

Miche

thisisyesterday Sun 02-Aug-09 20:22:08

don't worry!
my 4.5 yr old doesn't wee standing up either.

personally i don't think it's a problem. he'll do it in his own time if he wants to.
quite frankly sitting down is a LOT less mess!

MadMazza Sun 02-Aug-09 20:27:59

I don't think its a problem either when he sees other boys doing it at nursery or school he might start thinking it's cool but just ignore it for the time being; he'll do it when he is ready and not before.

CMOTdibbler Sun 02-Aug-09 20:31:03

It's not a problem is it ? You might find that the promise of al fresco weeing when standing up a real inducement though - DS loves weeing in the weeds at the side of the road

DiamondHead Sun 02-Aug-09 20:31:24

He's only little he'll work it out when he's ready.

DS2 suddenly started standing up wees about a month ago - he's nearly 4. It's inate, we never tried to teach him. He did it when he was ready.

fridayschild Sun 02-Aug-09 20:32:36

I don't think it's a problem.

If you really really want to teach him, can you get another little boy or two to show him how to pee standing up and aiming at a tree? For some reason this is always thought to be a great thing to do in our household. DS1 is 6 and DS2 is 4 and normally they both pee sitting down.

IdrisTheDragon Sun 02-Aug-09 20:33:07

Don't worry - DS is 5.8 and generally wees sitting down. He says he stands up at school sometimes. There's really nothing to worry about.

feedthegoat Sun 02-Aug-09 20:34:03

My ds is 3.8 too and still wees sat down. Tbh it hadn't even occured to me that it's a problem.

He has done it stood up before, after my dad took him out and showed him how to use urinals (I can just picture the scene grin) but he always chooses to sit.

Bellsa Sun 02-Aug-09 20:36:54

Mine still sits down most of the time and he's nearly 5. I am a LP so he doesn't see men weeing. He does know how, just doesn't. Tbh, it's a lot less mess!

michelle2706 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:38:11

Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'm just a worrier. I don't want to miss the boat for teaching him how to do stuff. He still wears pull ups at night as he pees like a hose during the night.

He won't pee outside, I've tried and if I can't get to a toilet in time then he'll wee his pants. He often has a 'stingy willy' and this is because I think he's weeing himself but not letting on and therefore it dries in and the tip of his willy is red.

I did try to get help from the health visitor about him not 'entertaining' his willy atall. I just thought that all little boys discovered their spare part downstairs and was always fiddling about with it, but my darling little angel is completely the opposite...

Will try to avoid pressure to do this, and hope that he catches on soon.

Thanks again
Miche

Yurtgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 20:38:43

Michelle - I think you are worrying too much! He is only 3
My ds is almost 8 - unless he is watering a tree or hedge he never wees standing up

No need to worry, he will stand up if and when he feels the need

Paolosgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 20:39:56

Let him stand up when he's ready. I can't remember when DS1 first stood up but he was certainly much older than 3.

DiamondHead Sun 02-Aug-09 20:42:41

Seriously, I think if you over think it, you can do more harm than good.
He's a little boy, he'll work it all out when he's ready. If he feels that you think he's doing things wrong, things that he's not quite ready for and doesn't quite understand - that's more likely to cause problems.

If he's dry in the day he's doing great.

tummytickler Sun 02-Aug-09 20:47:42

Hi
I really worried about this with my son too! He is 6 now and wees standong up, but didn't bother until he was 4 (probably nearer 4 1/2).
I think he just started to notice other boys weeing standing up.
Anyway - whatever the reason, he just started to do it himself, we never had to say a word!
try not to worry - he will do it when he is ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now