Talk

Advanced search

Liar liar pants on fire!

(5 Posts)
Mum2girls Tue 24-May-05 11:23:46

My DD1 is 4 and a half and has recently started telling me lies - about daft things. For example if I ask her to go fo a wee before bed, she has on a few occasions come out of the bathroom and said she'd tried, but didn't want one - all so she doesn't have to wash her hands. I'd not paid too much attention to this, although told her that fibbing isn't good.

Last night she found a bag of dried fruit which she loves and asked if she could have some and I said yes. A little later she came back into the living room with a handful of the stuff which I told her to put back, saying she couldn't as she'd brushed her teeth and was now going to bed.

Anyway, she ran upstairs and got into bed (normally she asks for and gets a few stories). I just new she'd gone up with her loot. I went up to her and asked 'Did you put the fruit back?'
'Yes' she said,
'Look at me and promise me you put it back'
'Yes' she said. 'Show me your hands then'. And lo and behold a load of dried fruit in her sticky mitts.

I took it off her and told her very calmly that I was very disappointed in her and how was I going to believe anything she said if she was going to tell me things that aren't true.

Anyway, that was that - thing is, how big a deal should I be making of this at this stage? Should I be making a firmer stand to stop her doing it from the outset, or is it a stage all kids go through to 'test' us?

Anyone?

starlover Tue 24-May-05 11:27:15

I think they all do it. Because at that age when they WANT something badly, they see no reason why they shouldn't have it!
The little girl I used to look after was exactly the same at that age. She once stole an easter egg out of her brother's bag and swore blind he had told her she could have it! He hadn't. And I knew she was lying because she went to great lengths to hide it.

Even once we had taken what was left of it off of her she still kept asking if she could have it!

I think your response was entirely appropriate. Just keep doing it, and explain WHY she musn;t do whatever it is (ie having fruit after brushing teeth). and WHY she shouldn't lie.... she'll soon get the hang of it!

Bethron Tue 24-May-05 11:33:30

Message withdrawn

koalabear Tue 24-May-05 11:36:04

can you read her "boy who cried wolf?"

Mum2girls Tue 24-May-05 11:48:22

Thanks girls - and good suggestion Koalabear - that will be top of the story list tonight!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: