loader

Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with DDs (4.7) destructive behaviour

(10 Posts)
Loopymumsy Sun 02-Aug-09 09:50:40

Message withdrawn

biggirlsdontcry Sun 02-Aug-09 16:43:37

hi loopymumsy, sounds like attention seeking behaviour to me , have you sat down with her & asked her why she is doing things like that ? at 4.7 she should be able to tell you why she is acting like this ,
i am a bit concerned that she was not supervised at playgroup & was able to cut her hair unnoticed hmm

Loopymumsy Sun 02-Aug-09 17:13:04

Message withdrawn

biggirlsdontcry Sun 02-Aug-09 17:57:11

do you give her a time out when she does these things ? the fact that she knows she is doing wrong could be her way of getting your attention , have you tried any reward charts for good behaviour ? maybe her reward could be a shopping trip with just you & her to spend some quality time together ,
hang in there , yes lots of praise when she is being good

slowreadingprogress Sun 02-Aug-09 19:03:47

I think what she's doing is not out of the ordinary - she is only 4, she is so young. I think sometimes some of this you might be taking too seriously almost. The hole in the dressing up dress - you confiscated which is fine but equally you could say to her "if you ruin it there won't be another" so that she can learn for herself what happens.

Taking apart her playschool creations - my ds has ALWAYs done this (blessing in disguise - don't have em cluttering up the dresser!) It's fun to tear and it is good for their fine motor skills. I take a photo if it was something I like. All I would say if I were you is that she must tidy up any mess.

Presents breaking soon after christmas - annoying yes but surely this is 99% of kids from time immemorial??!!

I would tackle the playgroup about the haircutting thing; they need to be supervising better or having smaller groups using scissors perhaps.

I think yes it is naughty to draw on walls etc and a consequence is needed but equally I would give something like a huge whiteboard on the wall for the kids so they can have fun with it.

Loopymumsy Sun 02-Aug-09 19:29:47

Message withdrawn

alardi Sun 02-Aug-09 19:39:23

If her long hair is her pride and joy, was she upset about it being gone? Did she cry and wail when she realised what she'd done?
Or was it actually OP's pride and joy, not her DD's? And the DD wasn't in the least bothered.
DD cut all the hair off all her barbies.
DD has occasionally cut bits of her own fringe, etc.
She has deliberately chewed holes in many of her sleeves.
To me, a lot of what OP describes is in the range of normal experimenting.
Inlaws have brought cheap toys that broke within an hour of coming out of the packaging, and DC weren't that rough particularly, some cheap toys are just that!

biggirlsdontcry Sun 02-Aug-09 20:01:51

loopymumsy , my ds is 10yrs , so far he has broken
1) a tv(in his bedroom)
2) PlayStation
3)Nintendo wii
4)Nintendo ds lite
5) psp console
we dread to think what will get broken next ,
some of these he has broken on purpose , he broke his wii after i sent him to his room two years ago on a time out , he wedged lollypop sticks into the disk part . kids do daft things but your dd will eventually realise that she is only messing things up for herself at the end of the day ,
don't let her see you getting stressed about her behaviour , sounds to me like she wants a reaction from you , i really think you should give the shopping trip a go & see if that works ,
you seem very stressed , try not worry too much she will grow out of this phase smile

Loopymumsy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:47:17

Message withdrawn

biggirlsdontcry Sun 02-Aug-09 21:14:09

wait & see she will be a perfect angel when dh is home ha smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now