Talk

Advanced search

dont know what to do!

(3 Posts)
mumtokatie Fri 31-Jul-09 15:25:42

Hi all, I'm new here and would really appreciate some advice please. I have a daughter,Katie, who is 7 on 10th August, She is (or was) a very outgoing,confident, happy, singy dancey girl. However, 3 weeks ago the fire alarm went off in our house for some reason and it has totally - and I mean totally - changed her character. She is withdrawn, scared,not eating and will not be left alone in a room. I've talked and talked to her and she has said that she had a bad dream about burglars that night and thats whats bothering her. We have tried everything to get her out of this but nothing is working. Does anyone have any ideas? We've tried telling her that there are numerous locks on the door etc and that we live in a very safe area. We've tried being hard but no joy. I'm at the end of my tether, and very upset cos 'my baby' has disappeared! Many thanks in advance. xx

footychick Fri 31-Jul-09 16:41:41

I think I would be very tempted to take her along to the doctors for a chat, they may be able to refer her to a councillor.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 31-Jul-09 16:44:34

Clearly she has reached the age where she is aware that bad things can happen and she has had the worry there was a fire and then the bad dream.

I would talk to her about what to do if there was ever a fire or a break in so she doesn't feel so helpless. Everyone should have a plan anyway for what to do in an emergency.

I wouldn't bother with a counsellor tbh. She just needs her mum to give her some control and reassure her. Lots of hugs too.

I hope she is soon okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now