Talk

Advanced search

7 mth old screams blue murder to be picked up from pram, what to do?

(16 Posts)
Ginni Thu 30-Jul-09 22:44:51

In public it's pretty embarassing and attracts a lot of attention, as soon as I pick her up she stops. I know this not good as I have to then carry her around on my hip while pushing the bloody pram with one hand. I feel like i've brought this on myself and now want to see an end to it where she stays nice and quiet in there when I put her in. Any suggestions? Do I leave her to cry it out and just ignore all the disapproving stares???

dingdong05 Thu 30-Jul-09 23:21:21

How long has she been like this? Does she just not like the buggy, or does she want to be carried? Is it cause she can't see you? You can get rear facing buggies (I think)

TBH I would get a sling and carry her if it happens all the time. She's probably too big for the harness style but I carried my son around in a sling until he was nearly 3, and that was just because he was too heavy for me. It had a really padded shoulder and as it was a hammock style so there was plenty of fabric to accommodate him as he got bigger. Just make sure she's held close so you don't strain your back!

barbareebaa Thu 30-Jul-09 23:22:19

It's the same for me too with my 8 month old and has been since he was about 4 weeks.
I do generally take him out if I can for a cuddle but sometimes - if it's raining or it's just not convenient - I can't so he either bawls for a bit and then goes to sleep or bawls a lot!! I think it got better when I inadvertently let him cry it out after a long walk home in the rain from the supermarket blush

It's definitely got better and i reckon it will continue to. But i have found - like in supermarket queues it's less stressy for me (!) to hold him than to listen to him getting upset. and it's quite nice too and random strangers chat to you and it's nice!

Is there a particular place that your dd tends to cry?

Hope someone comes up with a solution to this tho' - shall be lurking grin

seeker Thu 30-Jul-09 23:25:02

I'd just pick her up and put the shpooing in the pram!

seeker Thu 30-Jul-09 23:25:44

shopping, even!

barbareebaa Thu 30-Jul-09 23:27:42

Also I plan trips out around naps. He's now learning I think that we go somewhere, he gets out, we do something then he's tired so he'll sleep on the way back but there is a problem if he wakes before we get back and if my dh is with me we will just take turns to carry.
It is getting better all the time though!

MegBusset Thu 30-Jul-09 23:29:11

I would get a sling -- I found the Ergo good when DS1 was around that age.

It won't last forever -- soon you will be able to give her a bag of crisps sausage roll banana or something to keep her occupied round Tesco

Stigaloid Fri 31-Jul-09 09:11:40

What kind of buggy do you have? Is she forward facing so she can see everything? Just start pointing things out to her as you are walking around - involve her in conversation and say 'oooh look at that bus - can you point to it?' 'oooh here is a post box - we put letters in this'. Distract her from her tantrum and show her the world.

Loopymumsy Fri 31-Jul-09 17:10:02

Message withdrawn

FiveBells Sat 01-Aug-09 11:42:20

I found I had troubles with my DS screaming in the pram for a while, and having to walk with him on the hip while pushing the pram home (always up a hill, at least 20 minutes from the front door grin) - then I realised he was getting too hot - I was swaddling him up against the weather and he was getting way too overheated. Is there something in the pram that makes him uncomfortable or scared? Once I sorted out the heat thing he was as good as gold.

Ginni Sat 01-Aug-09 18:52:47

she already weighs over 19lb, I have a hip sling but I really don't want to carry her around all the time. She cries because she wants a cuddle from mummy. Is that patpum sling/ mei tai sling really any good for a heavy 'un??

misdee Sat 01-Aug-09 18:55:06

get a mei-tai or a wrap sling if you can learn how to tie.

i carry my 8month old 18lb+ dd4 almost everywhere we go. i have a connecta which i keep in th car for quick trips out, and wraps for longer journies.

FlamongoBongo Sat 01-Aug-09 18:55:43

get an ergo and carry her on your back - use the pram for shopping etc.

I carried my babies in an ergo until they were about 18m.

misdee Sat 01-Aug-09 18:59:52

oh, and many times i have taken dd4 out in the pram, and ended up wheeling it home empty, and one handed as i carry dd4. so now i tend to keep a sling under the buggy at all times, just in case.

Rosebud05 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:49:26

Ditto the carrying her in a sling suggestions. I had a rear facing buggy, which didn't cut the mustard. Even if she's not that light, an Ergo (can't vouch for any of the others, but know that others rave about them)will be comfortable for you as long as your bags are in the buggy. I carried the sling around in the buggy for months to pre-empt those moments, and she will eventually spend more and more time peacefully in her buggy......

Loopymumsy Sat 01-Aug-09 21:56:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now