Talk

Advanced search

dd has become a fussy eater- pander to her or continue the battle?

(8 Posts)
cupofteaplease Thu 30-Jul-09 15:12:07

dds are 4 and 2 and have always been good eaters ie they would try anything and had hearty appetites. Fortunately dd2 is still the same, but recently dd1 has become so fussy. I don't know if this has any relevance, but their lovely ex childminder, who was great in many ways fed them a lot of 'nursery' food, such as pizza, plain pasta, chicken nuggets etc. They also had daily treats of chocolate, donoughts, biscuits. I'm not saying I never give them these foods, far from it, but I always offer lots of other flavours and try to offer snacks such as bread sticks and raisins, as well as chocolate and biscuits. dd1 always said how much she loved the food at the CM's!

Recently, over the last few months, dd1 has begun to refuse: any fruit other than bananas, apples, pears or satsumas (she used to love strawberries, cherries, grapes, blueberries etc) hoummous, vegetables in sauces for lasagne or spaghetti bolognase, she's gone off loads of vegetables such as peas and carrots, mayonaise-type sauces, anything with too many herbs or spices (was never a problem before). So basically, her preferred meals would be toast with marmite, scrambled eggs with waffles or plain chicken/fish with broccoli and mashed potatoes- and that's about it!

Today for lunch I offered them a slice of pizza with red pepper hoummous and lots of veg to dip in- carrots, cucumber, pepper and celery. She ate half a baton of carrot and one of cucumber hmm

She has then pestered for crisps and biscuits all afternoon which I have refused, despite knowing she is probably hungry sad

What should I do? Only give her the foods she likes, or continue to give her the same as we ae eating and risk her going hungry? I don't really want her fussiness to rub off on dd2 who will eat anything and everything. Sigh.

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 15:19:03

hmm.. .maybe let her have as much as she wants of the healthy things she eats, but limit the biscuits/cakes. If she's hungry then maybe a piece of toast?

Only have toddler experience to go on, but HTH

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 15:21:46

She won't go hungry.
Don't fight and don't give in.
Just prepare the smae for everyone.If she doesn't want it,remove without comment.

paranoidmother Thu 30-Jul-09 15:22:32

Keep going with the food you know she has eaten before. My DD (4) has done this, and we have stuck to our guns and now she is back eating it all again. We said that before she got pudding (sometimes fruit or cake or something) she has to try something of everything on her plate or she doesn't get anything else till next meal.

It was just her trying it on as she sees her friends eat different things at Nursery.
There are a few things I know DD doesn't like the taste or which is fine but most things she will now make the effort to eat half of everything on her plate and all of the things she really likes. I also ask why she doesn't like it to see if she can give a proper answer, rather than because I don't!!

Good luck

cupofteaplease Thu 30-Jul-09 15:22:37

So allow her free range of the fruit bowl, for example?

cupofteaplease Thu 30-Jul-09 15:24:28

Sorry, that response was to Sheeta. So perhaps 4 is an age where they start to develop their own likes and dislikes, which is great, but slighty annoying...

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 15:42:48

cupoftea - that sounds like a good idea, yes.

I like paranoidmother's idea of getting her to try at least a little of everything on her plate, rather than making her eat the whole lot. Will remember this one for when DS is older!

My sister used to eat anything and everything until she was about 3 (except baked beans) and no idea what happened but she stopped eating almost all verg and ALL fruit and only really ate baked beans hmm.

She still won't eat fruit now..

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it? grin

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 15:43:14

veg, not verg... obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now