Talk

Advanced search

help.........seperation anxiety in DD 5yo

(4 Posts)
aristocat Thu 30-Jul-09 12:55:15

help....
the last few weeks my DD is constantly checking on me. if i go upstairs[to the toilet or to put washing away] she will call for me and need reassuring that i am here.

i have asked why and she thinks i will leave her in the house alone. i would never do this and besides her brother [7yo] is here too.

she is a smart,clever and confident girl.
it is beginning to get on my nerves, i keep reassuring her that i would never leave her but it hasnt helped as yet. has this happened to anyone else ? am i doing the right thing? i am trying to not let it become an issue because i feel that might make it worse!

FranSanDisco Thu 30-Jul-09 16:46:08

Do you say where you are going or does she notice you 'missing'. Lots of children are like this, always liking to know where mum/dad is. Just tell her where you are going and that you'll be x mins approx. and if she wants you to come and find you. It will pass hoepfully smile

slowreadingprogress Thu 30-Jul-09 17:26:28

oh I'm sure it will pass. DS is still like this to some degree and he's 7. It's utterly normal - until they are of an age where they know they can take care of themselves, in a way it is very sensible for them to have this need to check on who's with them. Obviously some kids have it more than others but I don't think it's a bad sign to have it!

aristocat Thu 30-Jul-09 19:27:59

thanks, it just started from nowhere.

i do usually tell her what i'm about to do.
shes only like it with me - but dad is at work all day smile

thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now