Talk

Advanced search

Is my child small?????

(9 Posts)
fifilala Mon 23-May-05 15:55:32

I enjoy reading the threads on mumsnet and would like some advice - people are constantly shocked when they hear that my son is 3.2mths and constantly say he looks 2! He talks none stop(proper conversations),finally potty trained day and night, the only difficulty is food - never says he is hungry constantly causes a fuss at mealtimes etc but has a fairly varied diet (when I can get him to eat but does not eat large portions). I realise clothes sizes vary and he is in 2-3 bottoms and now 3-4 tops (sleeves a bit long). Never have reason to visit a Health visitor or doc because he is never ill - should I be worried or is it his snowy white hair that just makes him look like a baby??????????????????

loulabelle222 Mon 23-May-05 16:01:17

i have same prob but other way around. My ds is 13m and people constantly think he is 18m -2 ! He is only 79cm tall in 9-12m tops and 12-18m bottoms (still big though) i dont see him looking that old

tamula Mon 23-May-05 16:09:48

I would have thought that as long as he is fit and healthy I wouldnt worry too much, I dont think parents / mum's mean to do it but we all constantly compare babies and growth etc... and whereas there may be an 'average' it doesnt mean there is anything wrong with being outside of that average.

My partner and I are fairly tall and they said in the scans that our girl had long legs, she's now 7 weeks tomorrow and was weighed and measured today, she weighs 5.1kg / 11lb 2oz and 60cms long, so I know that the liklihood is she's going to be tall, but she's the picture of health and happiness she's alert happy and doing great so I'm not bothered.

Aragon Mon 23-May-05 16:21:29

I'd go along with tamula here. True growth disorders are rare and often accompanied by other symptoms that you would notice. If he seems fit and well and happy then he probably is.

LIZS Mon 23-May-05 16:49:46

My dd is almost 4 and looks around a year younger, probably a similar size to your ds. around 95cm tall and 12kg. She walked at a year and was very quik by 13 months , at which point she looked at at least 4 months younger and certainly attracted attention as she tore aroudn Toys r us !

Don't think you need worry especially as he sounds so healthy. You can't make them eat more than they need and dd is very stubborn about such things anyway. Whenever I've raised it with a paediatrician they have not been overly concerned.

sparklymieow Mon 23-May-05 16:53:31

My Dd2 is 3.7 years and looks a lot younger, she is about 98cm and wear 2-3 year clothes, some of her stuff is 18-24month too. She can talk well, is ptty trained and is evry indepedent. I am small too (4ft 11) and a size 8-10 so guess she takes after me, noone has said anything about her size.

mummylonglegs Mon 23-May-05 16:55:32

Message deleted

fifilala Mon 23-May-05 17:14:51

thanks everyone - just had a measuring session at nursery against others of a similar age - seems about average, sorry for the post but was starting to get a bit paranoid!

Flum Mon 23-May-05 17:17:35

oooh Paranoia by Proxy now theres a thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now