Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

weaning off dummy

(13 Posts)
woowoo Mon 23-May-05 14:05:27

My sister is at the end of her tether. Her DD has a dummy, but it is more trouble than it is worth as she is constantly having to put it back into her mouth as it falls out when she is asleep. It does comfort her when she gives it to her. She doesn't use it during the day, just sleep time. Not breast fed. Mine didn't have dummies so I can't help her. Can you? By the way she is nearly 6 months.

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 14:12:44

Message withdrawn

woowoo Mon 23-May-05 14:13:32

Bethron, how old is he? It does sound a bit dangerous, doesn't it?

desperatehousewife Mon 23-May-05 14:17:58

Mine was 2.5yrs when we went cold turkey. Gave them all to Father Xmas. Buzz Lightyear appeared in their place - he was absolutely fine about it. Although did become very clingly to me for a couple of weeks - I became his only source of comfort in place of the dummy and it was hard work for me because I couldn't put him down (he regressed in this sense by about 18 months!) But totally worth it.

It is possible - just go for it if you dare. If it is tricky, it will only last for a few days.

Good luck.

woowoo Mon 23-May-05 14:19:05

So what would you advise for a 6 month old?

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 14:20:08

My ds was about 5 months when we went cold turkey, nightmare couple of days but well worth it. All I'd say is if she decides to go cold turkey then to throw them all away otherwise the temptation to give in will be terrible!

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 14:20:39

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewife Mon 23-May-05 14:22:17

Hmmm tricky one. I think try for 2 or 3 nights cold turkey and see what happens. The worst that will happen will be 2 disturbed nights sleep for everyone (which it sounds like it is anyway). Otherwise could she try those dummy clips that clip to clothes? I guess though the baby can't find her own dummy and that's the problem...?

I would say definately try going cold turkey or just keep doing what she's doing and accept that this is a phase and will improve as soon as she can work out how to get the dummy back in her own mouth.

not much help really, sorry.

woowoo Mon 23-May-05 14:24:00

Would you encourage her to find her thumb?

loulabelle222 Mon 23-May-05 16:06:21

I would give it to her. I would only give it to her when she is tired though and not inbetween. I would wean her off of it either very young or when she is old enough to be told 'your a big girl now, shall we put your dummy away?' Thats what i will do anyway with my ds (13m) He is going off of his dummy.. he is in love with his big blanket that i bought him out of Makro's for £2! bless him

woowoo Mon 23-May-05 17:32:51

So would you keep getting up in the night to give it to her, even if this was 5 - 10 times, or just let her cry.

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:23:31

I'd get rid. IMO once it starts becoming more of a hinderance than a help its time to try to get rid of it. She might find her thumb but tbh I don't think it's worth encouraging it. It was bad for a few days but that was literally it, a few days. Plus he didn't just have it at night time so was possibly more attached. I never thought we'd manage it but it was no where bad as I'd thought. She could always try it and see if it's the right time anyway?

desperatehousewife Tue 24-May-05 08:46:32

personally I would let my child cry for a couple of nights until they got used to sending themselves back off to sleep without the dummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now