Talk

Advanced search

Please could someone give me some ideas to entertain my 4 year old in the rain ?

(11 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 29-Jul-09 15:11:19

Hi, my daughter is four and a half and loves being outside. When she has to stay in, I find it very tricky entertaining her for a whole day.
We've played with play dough, drawing, sticking, cooking and I've read loads of storys. She's now watching Cbeebies, because she was asking for it and I couldn't think of anything else to do with her.
So any suggestions would be appreciated. smile

Seeline Wed 29-Jul-09 16:32:54

Stick her in some old clothes and a pai of wellies and let her play in the mud in the garden - my two love that! Be prepared to strip her at the back door, and straight into the bath though!

mummyloveslucy Wed 29-Jul-09 19:21:07

She loves being outside, but dosn't like the rain. She is a real wimp. grin
She probubly would with an umbrella.
I'll try that if it's raining tomorrow.
thanks. smile

CarriePooter Wed 29-Jul-09 19:24:14

Give her a bucket and a sponge and get her to wash the front door. Then spend an hour in the bath.

Acinonyx Wed 29-Jul-09 19:28:59

That is hard - my dd is 4 also! Do you have a softplay nearby - I'm not fond of them unless another mum is going but dd loves it.

Do you play board games (the kind for young kids)? If not and you have some dice (or anything really) you can make an easy board game on some paper/card.

Hide and seek? Dressing up in bits of stuff?

I can't bear being in all day and I'm afraid I just take her out in the rain. We went to the shops the other day and made a long mission out of getting two things. We often go to the charity shops so that there is a realistic chance of buying something - then to a cafe for a snack or lunch. If we've bought a book at the shop we can read it there (pick a cafe with slack trade).

Dd also loves her umbrella. Lots of rain to come - I would get her used to it or you will go mad!

SammyK Wed 29-Jul-09 19:29:22

My DS just spent 6-6:30 outside in his rain coat and wellies running around and laughing to himself hmm grin and then in, dried, and into his PJs.

I wouldn't try to constantly entertain her either, follow half hour of activity with 10 mins where she has to entertain herself. I sypathise I hate being stuck in.

fruitful Wed 29-Jul-09 19:30:41

Make a tent with some sheets and the clothes airer or the sofas.

Clear as much space as possible, put music on, and dance.

If you have a video camera, video her fooling about (you can call it "doing a show") and then plug it into the tv and let her watch herself.

Get her to help with the housework (she cleans with a babywipe).

Invite friends round.

Sort your wardrobe out, and let her dress up in some of your clothes. Also paint her nails, style her hair. If you're brave, let her do yours ...

SammyK Wed 29-Jul-09 19:31:33

Oh yes I like hide and seek too, taking ages to find them , mwah ha ha {evil mummy emotion. DP told my two step sons (12 and 13) last weekend my hide and seek tactics from when they were little blush they found it quite funny luckily.

lingle Wed 29-Jul-09 20:16:28

Hi mummyloves,

Ds2 is also a wimp in the rain and umbrellas really work. Solves the problem unless it's windy. We spent an hour walking to Tescos and back today and it was a real adventure.

PestoSoggyMonster Wed 29-Jul-09 20:20:12

Go to the library
Go for a walk - feed ducks/horses?
Come home & do a film with a hot chocolate & marshmallows or make some popcorn

mummyloveslucy Thu 30-Jul-09 20:38:56

Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't reply sooner. There are some really good sugestions. I'll try the rain coat, umbrella and wellies and see how she gets on. She might supprise me. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now