Talk

Advanced search

Why is my 6 year old suddenly having tantrums?

(8 Posts)
SingleMum01 Tue 28-Jul-09 20:12:48

tantrums is a bit strong a word really - more like paddy's. My DS has never really had tantrums - I've been lucky! Lately he's started to stamp his feet and moan loudly when I say its time to stop playing and go for a bath for example, or he can't play on the computer its wind down time/supper time etc. They don't last that long and I tend to just ignore them.

He's also started saying no when I ask him to do something - he's always been quite amenable. Although he will (usually) eventually do the task. Is he just trying to assert himself and its just a 6 year old phase?

JohnnyTwoHats Tue 28-Jul-09 20:13:59

I hope so- you could be describing my 6 year old DD there!

squilly Tue 28-Jul-09 20:15:40

It's a phase, BUT it'll stick around I suspect, if your DS is anything like my DD. She's generally very compliant, but she has times when she's really, really stroppy and arrogant.

Be patient, when you can, and explain why you're asking for things to be done in a certain way. Perhaps have a chat at bedtime about the moaning and ask him whether he's unhappy about anything. Just open up the dialogue so you can explain it's making you sad that he's saying no to you so often, that you only ask him to do things that you need him to do.

I'm sure you'll find a solution to this, even if it's just being patient in ignoring it. Good luck.

SingleMum01 Tue 28-Jul-09 20:16:16

Thanks JTH - nice to know I'm not on my own. Hard to keep your cool sometimes!

Sidge Tue 28-Jul-09 20:18:56

Probably just a phase.

Have you tried giving him a countdown? For example, 10 more minutes on the computer until dinnertime, 5 more minutes playing before we need to go up for bathtime etc. I do 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute warnings (not literally, I don't use a stopwatch!) and it really seems to divert tantrums as they know exactly what to expect and when.

SingleMum01 Tue 28-Jul-09 20:22:09

Yes I do a 10/5 minute countdown, its not working at the moment. Thats just reminded me of a strategy I used when he was a todder though, a slow count of 10 to do what was asked - think I need to start that one again when he says no.

Barmymummy Wed 29-Jul-09 08:48:30

Exactly like my DD. Am going through a turbulent patch with her too and you have described her to a tee. Lets hope its a short lived stage grin

davidla Wed 29-Jul-09 11:50:50

Yes, countdown is the way to go! You can even point to a clock to show how long (or short!) 10 minutes is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now