Talk

Advanced search

Support groups

(26 Posts)
Bethron Mon 23-May-05 11:19:05

Message withdrawn

coppertop Mon 23-May-05 11:45:08

I don't have any experience of eplilepsy but use a support group for people affected by autism. I find it really helpful. It was such a relief to be in a room with people who all understood about the kinds of things we were /are going through. I don't go as often as I would like to but it's nice to know that the support is there if I need it.

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 12:51:37

Message withdrawn

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 14:07:46

Message withdrawn

sparklymieow Mon 23-May-05 14:13:42

I go to a support group once a month with lots of parents of different SN kids. Its a great laugh and we enjoy having tea and biscuits with other mums. We did the 'what my child has' at the start and if any new people join it gets asked but after that its just fun...

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 14:22:45

Message withdrawn

coppertop Mon 23-May-05 16:36:30

There are meetings for parents/carers to sit around and talk. Guest speakers are also invited to come and talk about different aspects of autism: education, behavioural issues, medication etc. The group also organises get-togethers for the children and families at a soft-play centre.

The meetings can be useful for finding out what happens locally, eg which doctors are best, what schools should be doing etc.

Some of the mumsnetters on the SN board have experience of epilepsy and so may be able to help too. There are also a lot of us dealing with behaviour and communication issues if you need some virtual support.

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 16:51:05

Message withdrawn

Davros Mon 23-May-05 18:10:01

I think support groups are good and it is great to get to know people in RL. You also get a lot of advice and info through other parents. In fact, I would say I don't get much emotional support from a support group but just being together, knowing we share some experience that we don't have to explain and all that useful practical info. I've also found really good friends although not everyone I've met by a long way, just like anything else. I'd give it a go, you don't have to keep it up. Next thing you'll be running i!

Davros Mon 23-May-05 18:10:49

I think this is totally an SN topic and you've got us all from over there on here anyway

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 18:29:55

Message withdrawn

coppertop Mon 23-May-05 19:13:45

I agree with Davros (again! ). This is exactly the kind of thing to be posting on the SN board.

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 19:19:21

Message withdrawn

coppertop Mon 23-May-05 20:38:35

Don't get Davros mooing again. There'll be no stopping her!

Davros Tue 24-May-05 13:38:37

Yes Bethron, why don't you moooooove to the SN board? ho ho, can't resist any excuse for a moo! By the way, another thought on the support group thing, I know that I am a serial joiner but I find the newsletters I get very useful and interesting, so maybe some of the bigger groups might be worth joining too, even if they don't involved meetings as such.

anniebear Tue 24-May-05 21:55:58

Hiya

posted on your thread on the SN section before

I go to a SN Toy Library support group once a week.

It has been the best thing I did. Got lots of advice off the other parents (was before I found Mumsnet SN section of course!!) found out about DLA, Family Fund ETC.

Most of all, the other parents had an idea of what I was talking about. There is nothing worse than when you are telling a friend with an NT child about something your child has done and you are upset and they say "oh yes, we have that as well with our child" and you are thinking "no you don't have a clue"!

But at a support group they DO understand

I would really recommend you go. I have gone for nearly 3 years and have never got any horror stories, just lots of support, friends inc one who has become a very close best friend.

Go GO GO!!

and yes, do post on the SN section, they are really great!!

Bethron Tue 24-May-05 22:12:17

Message withdrawn

Bethron Tue 24-May-05 22:13:04

Message withdrawn

anniebear Wed 25-May-05 09:12:41

Have e mailed you a very long e mail!!!!!!!!!!

Clarinet60 Thu 26-May-05 23:25:02

Sounds like you've had quite a thorough consultation with your paed now, Bethron. Let us know how the support group goes.

bobbybob Thu 26-May-05 23:30:54

I go to an allergy support group. It makes me count my blessings actually, there will always be someone worse off than you.

I also find it helpful to be able to just have a conversation without having to explain basic things about allergies.

I have got so many tips about Govt grants, good doctors and alternative foods that it has more than paid for my subscription.

Bethron Thu 02-Jun-05 16:09:30

Message withdrawn

Davros Thu 02-Jun-05 17:21:51

Do you think you'll go again Bethron?

Bethron Thu 02-Jun-05 22:28:33

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 02-Jun-05 23:32:49

great good for you- all you need from these things is one good friend who "gets it" and your whole life can become easier as well.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now