Talk

Advanced search

Is is OK to let babies sleep 'where they fall' so to speak?

(20 Posts)
1stMrsF Tue 28-Jul-09 12:05:55

Yesterday, when my 12 week old twins went to sleep (one in bouncy chair, one on me) I put them in their cots. Their nap was punctuated by lots of disturbances, me climbing the stairs many times to soothe, put dummies back in etc. Each time one woke, of course, she woke the other one.

Today, I have left them where they fell - DT1 on the playmat, DT2 in her bouncy chair. They've been asleep for over an hour and although DT1 has woken several times, she's soothed herself back to sleep each time.

I feel bad about leaving them, especially in the bouncy chair, but if they weren't comfortable, they wouldn't sleep would they?

New mum neurotica I know, but let me know what you think.

1stMrsF Tue 28-Jul-09 12:06:46

PS, this is for a daytime nap, not for bed...

notcitrus Tue 28-Jul-09 12:20:46

God yes!
Especially with two of them!

DjangoTheDjinn Tue 28-Jul-09 12:21:45

Oh just leave them there. Absolutely.

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 12:23:28

One of the biggest mistakes I made with ds1 was making sure he always slept in his moses basket / cot and wouldn't let him sleep anywhere else. This has caused numerous problems later on e.g. even if he's exhausted he won't fall asleep on sofa etc. With my next one I'm going to let them sleep wherever.

allaboutme Tue 28-Jul-09 12:23:51

at 12 weeks they can sleep anywhere
def leave them!

1stMrsF Tue 28-Jul-09 12:31:53

Brilliant. Thank you all very much. I am now enjoying hot cup of coffee while they both still sleep!

HolidaysQueen Tue 28-Jul-09 12:35:03

I think that it's more important that they get sleep than where they get it!

It wasn't until DS was about 4-5 months that I started to get a 50% hit rate for sleeping in his cot during the day.

FimbleHobbs Tue 28-Jul-09 12:35:15

Enjoy their naps and your hot coffee. I remember those early months - any rest is a bonus, let them sleep where they like!

Sheeta Tue 28-Jul-09 12:43:23

god yes, if they're both asleep then leave them to it, and lie down next to them

JJ1471 Tue 28-Jul-09 16:22:39

I agree with Picante, with my 6 month old I have been so strict about him sleeping in his moses basket and then cot - he is brilliant with daytime naps at home but if we take him to visit anywhere he just won't sleep unless he's pushed in his pushchair, he'll just scream with exhaustion!

sparkle12mar08 Wed 29-Jul-09 10:53:46

Frankly as long as it's not the middle of the road or a cliff edge - STEP AWAY FROM THE SLEEPING BABY grin

BertieBotts Wed 29-Jul-09 11:13:26

Aw, I miss DS falling asleep in the middle of the floor They are so cute when that happens. He had 80% of his naps in his bouncy chair FWIW until he grew out of it at 7 months.

I did used to just put a blanket over him in case of draughts etc.

CyradisTheSeer Wed 29-Jul-09 11:45:19

Message withdrawn

leftangle Wed 29-Jul-09 11:52:07

Goodness - never crossed my mind not to do this. 13 week old sleeping on her playmat now. Often put her in the bouncy chair (it lies flat) for daytime naps as find it easier to have her where I can see her.

Poledra Wed 29-Jul-09 11:55:08

My gran always said Never Wake a Sleeping Baby! I agree with the others, leave 'em where they are.

To make you feel better, I remember phoning my mum the first time DD1 fell asleep in her bouncy chair and anxiously enquiring if it was OK to leave her there wink

CatIsSleepy Wed 29-Jul-09 11:56:58

well dd2 has a cold and had a rubbish nap in her cot earlier

she is now having a nap in her bouncy chair albeit coughing and spluttering from time to time

there's no way am moving her to her cot!

PatTheHammer Wed 29-Jul-09 12:01:21

For me I would be relieved that they have both fallen asleep together at a similar time......how lovely for you grin.

Agree that if you are strict early on you will pay the price later on so it is good to have adaptable babies that can sleep anywhere.

hope you enjoyed your coffeesmile.

1stMrsF Wed 29-Jul-09 13:34:48

LOL at sparkle

Knickers0nMaHead Wed 29-Jul-09 14:25:05

yes! Dd is nearly two and wherever she drops, that is where she stays. Have done that since day dot. Enjoy your cuppa!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now