Talk

Advanced search

16 mth old wants to feed self - advice please

(27 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 10:53:10

Hi All

Dd has been having finger food and foods she can pick up herslef but she is now getting tot he stage of wanting to use the spoon herslef. Am really looking for some tips. Have started to give her a little food in a bowl and give her a sppon but still feed her most of her food myself is this ok?

AnarchyAunt Tue 28-Jul-09 10:54:42

Yeah, give her the spoon and stand well back grin

She'll get the hang of it.

rasputin Tue 28-Jul-09 10:55:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rindercella Tue 28-Jul-09 10:57:12

Definitely give her the spoon. She will soon get the hang of it. Yoghurt may take a little while for her to master though grin

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 10:57:30

So no to me giving her some too?????

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 10:58:03

She's fine with yogurt as long as she just dips the spoon grin

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 10:59:09

That reminds me and tips for helping to keep a bib on, i don't use them much now cause she would just taken them off, think i might need them again lol

FimbleHobbs Tue 28-Jul-09 11:14:58

Give her a spoon! If she is happy to do it all herself, let her.

And get the camera ready smile

FimbleHobbs Tue 28-Jul-09 11:16:19

Bibs - you need ones with sleeves. I used to put them on inside out so the plastic bit was showing (rather than the material bit) then you can wipe a lot of the mess off.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 11:21:09

Fimble top tip indeed, will have another go and see if she remembers she can take them off grin

fufflebum Tue 28-Jul-09 11:24:59

Bibs with long sleeves, a spoon and she will learn the rest.

You could try a bowl that has rubber underneath (to stop it skidding around the table).

We don't put anything on the floor as it is tiled and wipes clean ok. Some people use a plastic mat, up to you!

IME with my two the more you let them practice feeding themselves the more independent they become in the longer run. You can try and feed some to her, she may not like this, see how you go.

The rule is there are no rules!!!!

It is sometimes painful to watch and you feel like you spend all day wiping up after them but that is part of the process IME....

Good luck.

FimbleHobbs Tue 28-Jul-09 11:27:38

You could always put on a long sleeved bib, then a small bib on top purely for the purpose of her taking it off...depends how much washing you want to do I guess.

Gingeme Tue 28-Jul-09 11:32:07

Keep a spoon for you to nip the odd mouthful in between the mouthfulls she's doing herself iyswim? Shell hopefuly be too distracted to notice smile

MadEyeballsMoody Tue 28-Jul-09 11:41:41

Yep, hand over the cutlery and stand back DD is 18 months and hasn't let me anywhere near her food for a good few months now, independent little bugger hmm

Satsuma1 Tue 28-Jul-09 15:18:25

Definitely just give her a spoon and let her get on with it. Keep a spoon yourself and use that too if you're concerned she's not getting enough in.

You could also try one of these. They're designed to make it easier for children to get the food onto the spoon (sorry, don't know how to do links properly)

http://www.smarterproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Feed-Me-Feed-Me-Baby-Bowl-Fork-Spoon-Set.html ?gclid=CJXtgZ3L-JsCFU0B4wod3E88-Q

As everyone has already said, be ready for the mess!

melmog Tue 28-Jul-09 15:44:17

Ooooh, give her the spoon!

My dd is 16 months and has been feeding herself entirely for a couple of months now. (Only as she's my second and I'm too lazy busy to do it for her)

I've given up on bibs, I either put her in an old top or strip her. blush

She can get her little fingers under the suction part of all the bowls so I've given up on them too.

All her food goes loose on her tray and I stand well back. Oh, and move her away from the walls too!

A blanket or fleece is good for under the chair as I can shake it outside then wash it.

Have fun!

Besom Tue 28-Jul-09 15:48:40

I posted something similar recently about my 14 month old.

I just gave her the spoon and let her get on with it and I've been surprised by how quickly she has learned to do it.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 15:52:57

Thanks ladies. She's always helped herself to a few spoonfulls so she has a good aim.

Will move the highchair a bit away from the wall!!

Good tip about the old top.

Thanks ladies

MadEyeballsMoody Tue 28-Jul-09 17:39:23

LOL yes, I tend to place her little table and chair in the middle of a clear room. And don't give her rice hmm

melmog Tue 28-Jul-09 17:48:07

Or soup. See my photo of why!
Old top AND bib for that one.

Gingeme Tue 28-Jul-09 17:55:53

Or cous cous hmm

Confuzzeled Tue 28-Jul-09 17:59:09

Pelican bibs are great. At Ikea you can get a set, pelican bib, suction bowl and sippy cup for a couple of quid.

My dd refused to let me feed her, she took over herself from very young, can't remember exactly. We used to put a plastic table cloth on the floor, give her the spoon and stand back.

Soup with bits of toast to dip was good for dd, same with any type of casserole. Pasta was generally eaten with hands, so were noodles (hugely popular). Be prepared for mess but don't get too stressed. Just think it's short term mess for the freedom of being able to put dd's food down then pour yourself a glass of something and relax.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 29-Jul-09 08:27:23

Fab pic melmog

Thanks confuzzeled, as I said she's good with finger foods its just that I'd do the wet stuff i suppose eg fishcakes and beans she'd do the fish cakes I'd spoon the beans.

UPDATE - so last night made chicken and mushrooms in white sauce with potatoe and peas, and gave her the spoon.......she gave up quite quickly with the chicken but the peas were hoovered up so ended up feeding her but it was after she'd tried so thats the main thing.

Thanks

Confuzzeled Wed 29-Jul-09 09:48:46

Well done, glad your dd had a go.

My sister hated mess so she never aloud her ds to feed himself. He's now 6 and doesn't eat properly, he has huge issues with food.

I think you just have to relax and let them lead the way.

fizzpops Wed 29-Jul-09 09:56:39

Agree with the pelican bib and long sleeves.

My DD is 15mths and she has been feeding herself for a few weeks now. The only problems I have is when the bowl gets a bit empty and she doesn't know to hold it so she chases it off the highchair tray if I don't catch it in time.

Yoghurt pots are a similar problem.

Most of the time most of the food goes where it is supposed to go. I also think she eats more when she feeds herself, although sometimes we swap - if she is distracted by a toy etc I take over and she eats absentmindedly until she remembers.

Rice is fine with something to stick it together a bit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now