Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop my DS2 (17mo) from throwing?

(4 Posts)
abroadandmisunderstood Tue 28-Jul-09 08:56:21

When on earth is he going to stop this phase? We have a rather echoey cellar and he throws every toy over the stairgate down there. I take the toy away if I see him going for it. He just goes and gets something else to throw.

Same with food, although he is teething badly right now. He barely eats anything. Every finger food gets thrown.

It's the toys that get me, though. It is embarrassing going to other people's houses as he picks things up and chucks them hard.

What should my approach be? Ignore so he doesn't get a reaction? Or is it a stage he simply grows out of?

sweetfall Tue 28-Jul-09 08:58:07

Take it off him

Say "No. Don't throw"

repeat ad nauseum until phase wears itself out. Convince yourself that it has gone because of your amazing consistent parenting and would not have gone anyway.

Practically I would put a rug down in the cellar so there is not the echoey boing sound

piscesmoon Tue 28-Jul-09 09:02:11

I agree with the 'broken record' approach-stop him everytime-he will get the message eventually.

abroadandmisunderstood Tue 28-Jul-09 09:03:49

Yes, maybe it's time to put MN away for a bit and stop him every time he tries to throw.

Actually, he's behind me right now playing happily because he has just had some teething tablets. He isn't throwing (shock)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now