Talk

Advanced search

6 monh old hysterical crying

(8 Posts)
heron22 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:09:52

I am at lost as to what is going on with LO. for the last 2 weeks or more now, he would go down at around 6pm nicely, then wake up screaming the house down about 45-50mins later.

anyone got any clue?

he does not have wind, not hungry, dirty nappy or anything. he would cry for about 30 mins and then fall asleep. sometimes he would cry so hard he would puke.

our house is quiet and so it is not like there was a loud noise scared him.

thanks!

singalongamumum Mon 27-Jul-09 19:13:11

I don't know what's waking him, heron, but I do know that a baby's first sleep cycle is about 45/50 minutes long, then they enter deep sleep. So basically, he is stirring too much at this point and is reluctant to move into deep sleep unattended!

It may work to go in at 40 minutes, and as he begins to stir pat/ shush/ do whatever suits to stop him rousing more fully. You could a;so try white noise over this period (crackle on radio) to keep him asleep.

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 27-Jul-09 19:16:33

Could he be coming down with something?

I know it may sound silly but could something be scratching or irritating him? - DD did this and we found out a label on her Sleepsuit was digging into her and waking her up. Does he bump his head on the cot after moving around in sleep?

heron22 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:30:16

singalongmum i did not know about baby's sleep cycle. i think ur right.

i get so upset when he does this screeching screaming thing. it is also at the time of the day when i am trying to get DS1 to bed and making dinner etc! and of course, i am tired myself after a long day!

crush checked his sleep suit, there is nothing like that. and he does not bump his head.

sigh. all i know is that as cute as they are as babies, they are easier once they are past the toddler stage!

singalongamumum Mon 27-Jul-09 20:24:17

teeth? maybe try a dose of calpol before bed see if it helps?

singalongamumum Mon 27-Jul-09 20:24:54

PS hope it gets better soon- it's also the time of the day when you're ready for a break so it must be tough to struggle on. x

heron22 Tue 28-Jul-09 08:29:13

singalongmum yes it is a tough time of the day.
i did end up giving him some calgel and he was crying. i did the shush shush thing and some patting. calmed him down and he settled.
so i think it is to do with his sleep cycle.

what age are/is your LO?

singalongamumum Tue 28-Jul-09 12:19:18

My DS is 21 mo now, another due in January. He doesn't cause many sleep problems now, but I have bought the t-shirt when it comes to disturbed nights and teaching sleep strategies to the little lovely, so my heart goes out to anyone having problems. I am just HOPING the next one sleeps! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now