Talk

Advanced search

whats the average hours of sleep during the day and at night for an 11 week old?

(10 Posts)
LittleMissMummy Sun 26-Jul-09 19:55:30

Hi all,

Just trying to get my almost 11 week old DD into a routine during the day (otherwise she gets very cranky!) and was wondering what is the normal amount of time that should be spent sleeping the day?

thanks a lot smile

LittleMissMummy Sun 26-Jul-09 19:56:30

also amount of sleep time at night? (I know this can vary a lot if different babies)

I hate to break this to you but it's an individual baby thing. However I do empathise with you wanting to get your LO into a routine as that is what we did, all I can reccomend is looking out for the "tired" signs and napping them then you will come to recognise a pattern in most (but not all) cases and that will be their routine.

Clayhead Sun 26-Jul-09 19:59:42

In this house about a couple of hours...

[thanks the Lord those days are over grin]

Sorry, not much help, but neither of mine slept much either day or night!

LittleMissMummy Sun 26-Jul-09 20:35:07

Hi there, thanks for the replies smile

I just wasnt sure if maybe she should limit the amount of sleep during the day so that she sleeps for a good bit at night or whether I should just go with what she wants!?

She is pretty good at sleeping through the night at the moment anyway - sometimes will get up at about 3/4/5am for a feed then sleeps until about 7/8am and thats her from about 8/9/10pm the night before

thanks x

clema Sun 26-Jul-09 20:50:36

Hi there

My son is 12 weeks and we are trying to get the day time sleeps better. He sleeps okay if we are out in the car or buggy but in the cot there are lots of tears.

Generally though he has about 3 hours during the day, sometimes more but no more than 4. He goes to sleep between 7-8 pm and i lift him for a feed at 10.30-11pm but he only takes 3oz as he is so tired he doesn't wake up but he still sleeps through till 6.30am most days and 7 on the odd blissful occasion.

Good luck

TurtleAnn Sun 26-Jul-09 21:16:49

My DS was able to stay awake and play for around 1 hour and then needed to wind down with gentle play/ feed for 20 mins before sleeping.

I am a big fan of the sleepsense book, that talks about 45 min sleep cycles, under this theory a child should sleep for a multiple of 45 minutes or a single cycle of 45 minutes. My DS is to the minute on the 45 min clock.

early morning nap - 9ish - 45 mins
mid-morning nap - 11ish - either 45 or 90 mins, depending on his night
lunchtime - sometimes 3*45 or 4*45 depending on the morning
late afternoon nap - 45 mins
bedtime around 6-7pm

At 11-weeks we were still waking him for the 'dreamfeed' and he woke at 2.30 and again at 4.30 for feeds. But once we started sleepsense properly at night we dropped the dreamfeed, he continued to wake at 2.30 and 4.30 until last night (14-weeks) when he slept through 7pm - 4.30am - 7am.
Fingers crossed for tonight smile

1stMrsF Tue 28-Jul-09 12:15:11

My 12 week old twins are sleeping at night in a similar pattern to what you described and my feeling is that if they are sleeping all night, no need to limit sleep during the day. I'm just keeping a look out for tired signs and then getting them down or letting them drift off in their bouncy chair etc. I find that if they don't sleep very much during the day they are very grizzly at bath time, don't eat enough at 6pm feed and then wake more often in the night, so do try to get her to sleep a bit.

meandjoe Tue 28-Jul-09 17:29:16

At that age my ds was only awake for about 2-2.5 hours before needing a nap (rubbing eyes and yawning etc) we used to have to rock him to sleep or feed him to sleep or else he'd just scream and scream. Even then he'd only nap for 30 minute periods so was always overtired henve the screaming! By 10 weeks thank God he was sleeping 12 hours through the night but with a dream feed at about 10:30pm.

meandjoe Tue 28-Jul-09 17:32:26

They are all so different though! With retrospect, ds should maybe have been napping about every hour and half but he would fight it so much that we just never managed to get it sorted til he eventually did himself at about 9 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now