Talk

Advanced search

Strategies to encourage dd to play independently

(7 Posts)
Travellerintime Sat 25-Jul-09 08:26:14

Hello,
As I write this, dd (4.9) is crying in her room because I've taken ds (18 months) downstairs to clear up the breakfast stuff. She seems to have completely lost the ability to play by herself. Most of the day she follows me around, and protests loudly if I try to do anything other than play with her and ds.

I feel a bit mean for posting this, because she is such a lovely girl, but for my own sanity (esp during the holidays) I would really like her to be able to play a little by herself.

She starts school in a few weeks time, and her behaviour has been a bit off over the last month or so (quite a few tantrums), so I am wondering if it's linked to pre-school anxiety... but still wonder if any of you have any ideas to encourage her... or should I just chill out and accept it will come?

Tiredmumno1 Sat 25-Jul-09 19:57:16

Oh bless her, i hope she is ok now, + sorry no one replied, if i am busy cleaning and my eldest is at school, it sometimes takes a while for him to get into playing with something + learning to play alone. Maybe try putting a few of her fav things out, and explain that you have a few things to do, every now + then sit with her for 5/10 mins and see how she gets on.

Travellerintime Sat 25-Jul-09 20:01:04

Hi tiredmum,
Thanks for your ideas. I do think I need to suggest ways for her to do things by herself - but it's difficult with ds around. Since he's become a toddler, I think she sees him getting more attention, and therefore finds it impossible to leave us, just in case she misses out on something!

Tiredmumno1 Sat 25-Jul-09 20:30:17

Hopefully she will get used to it. Just try to make it look to her like your giving her just as much praise maybe. + every now + then give her an extra hug sometimes for no reason. My eldest used to do the same, he has got used to it, + gets his younger bruv to play with him.

Travellerintime Sun 26-Jul-09 10:01:50

Thank you, tiredmum

Anyone else?

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 10:10:07

I used to set stuff up for my ds in the mornings - paints, traintrack etc and then pretty much left him to it! He still used to follow me around. She'll get used to it and when she starts school she'll become more independent.

Travellerintime Sun 26-Jul-09 20:35:08

Cornsilk,
I like that idea - will try. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now