Talk

Advanced search

tantrums and behaviour

(3 Posts)
skinhead Fri 24-Jul-09 21:01:06

hi i am claire my son is nearly 5 and he starts school in September. His behaviour is really bad his temper started at nursery but it has got worst. We know he has a slight health problem but we can't get the help from the doctors or anywhere else. I think he has the border line of autism but where do i get the help to find out. hope i hear soon from someone who has been or is in the same situation.
claire m

TurtleAnn Fri 24-Jul-09 21:40:13

The school will help with the behaviour difficulties in September so don't worry too much about leaving him in his new classroom.
For autism, ask your GP for a referral to a paediatrician over the summer and discuss your concerns, or speak to the school SENCo in September and s/he will refer to various professionals via school, most likely the Educational Psychologist to start with. I would definately ask for a Speech & Language Therapist to be involved, either by GP or via school SENCo, autism can be easily confused with language difficulties in the early stages of diagnosis, and a child with language difficulties can have poor behaviour as a frustration response.
If your DS continues to have serious behaviour difficulties a clinical psychologist will be best placed to help, although the school will be able to call for external behavioural support. A paediatrician can refer you to a clinical psychologist.

Barmymummy Sat 25-Jul-09 08:22:55

Turtle gives excellent advice and once you have been referred to the paed the wheels get moving (albeit slowly sometimes wink. Can you give us a little more insight into his behaviours?

My DS (4) has seen a paed and says he has some traits. He is starting school in Jan and the Senco there was very positive and supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now