Talk

Advanced search

Dunking face at bathtime

(13 Posts)
hunkermunker Sun 22-May-05 15:14:03

13mo DS puts his face in the water at bathtime.

It is a studied process. He looks at DH or me, whoever's bathing him, grins, looks at the water, holds his breath then puts his face into the water. He holds his face in for a second or so, then sits up, with water streaming down his face. He doesn't seem to like the after-effects (ie the water on his face), but he very much likes putting his face in the water.

Obviously we don't leave him unattended in the bath, and he's fine when he does this, but does anyone else's child do this? He's done it since he was about 8mo - he wanted a better look at the octopus on the bottom of the bath (a plastic one, we're not peculiar), so he held his breath and put his face in. We've never taken him swimming (will do soon...keep meaning to, etc), but perhaps we should try harder to?

And this is the boy who is scared of grass...

jampots Sun 22-May-05 15:15:51

how about putting up distractions like those stick on foam shapes on the walls to keep his face pointing upwards.

purpleturtle Sun 22-May-05 15:16:37

My ds will put his face in the bath to drink the water from time to time

Pinotmum Sun 22-May-05 15:17:57

I bet he's a natural when it comes to swimming. Half the battle is getting them to put their faces half in the water. Once my dd decided she didn't mind water in her eyes she swam brilliantly (with arm bands).

hunkermunker Sun 22-May-05 15:18:20

I did wonder if he was drinking it, but he does put quite a lot of his head in, up to his ears!

Not really worried about it, just wondering if anyone else had a child who did this!

SoupDragon Sun 22-May-05 17:01:29

DSs have always done this too but I think it's a by product of their swimming lessons. Take him swimming, he'll probably love it

SoupDragon Sun 22-May-05 17:02:01

(and I'd take him witout arm bands/floaty things too seeing as he likes being underwater so much)

elsmommy Sun 22-May-05 17:04:31

Mine did it I just decided shes mad
Shes 20 months now and still does it sometimes but not as often!!

KateandtheGirls Sun 22-May-05 17:04:49

I think it's great that he does that. I wouldn't try and discourage him (assuming you don't think he's drinking the water - or at least only negligible amounts). My eldest daughter always wanted to put her face in whatever body of water she was near, and at 5 1/2 she is a fantastic swimmer, who is always at the bottom of the pool. My youngest was always scared of water as a baby and has only recently, at age 3, started putting her face in, and therefore swimming.

kikidee Sun 22-May-05 18:08:30

Hunkermunker, you made me laugh as my ds, also 13 months, does exactly this. Like your ds, he's not particularly keen on the after-effects either but it doesn't deter him. It's especially funny if there's a lot of foam and he sits back up looking like Father Christmas! Funnily enough, my ds isn't all that keen on grass either.

Take the boy swimming - he'll love it!

hunkermunker Sun 22-May-05 18:58:37

Will take him swimming forthwithly. He'll probably hate it now...

Gobbledigook Sun 22-May-05 19:03:52

Ds3 is only 8 months - he doesn't put his face in but he has no problem with water being poured over it. I just pour pots of water over his head to wash his hair and he doesn't bat an eyelid. All ds's have been the same and all have no fear in water which has been great for their swimming. Ds1 is only just 4 and he did his 15m the other day.

Take him swimming - bet he'll love it!

Gobbledigook Sun 22-May-05 19:04:19

Kikidee - spooky! Didn't see your post before I did mine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: