Talk

Advanced search

Worried about ds2 and some of the things he does.

(9 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Fri 24-Jul-09 12:58:16

I know i am probably worrying over nothing. But i worry all the same.

here are a few examples.

he has a chain on a crucifix which was a pressie for his christening. Well if the actual crucifix falls to the back of his neck when he lays down, rolls on floor etc he absoloutly panics he screams cries and shakes. I quickly move it but it is so sad to see.

To sleep he has to have the same 3 blankets and a bottle otherwise he just cannot sleep.

he is able to understand everything you ask him to do but is not a brilliant talker. There are other things he does my mum jokes that he has OCD like me and my brother, but it just adds to my worry.

am i worrying over nothing?

pranma Fri 24-Jul-09 14:27:58

Isnt he a little young to wear a crucifix all the time if it bothers him and he cant move it himself?Why not take it off for a few years.The blankets and bottle thing is totally normay-very nany small children have a comfort routine at bed time and are upset without it.

TheLadyEvenstar Fri 24-Jul-09 14:33:37

Pranma, he has worn it for the last 4 months without it bothering him, he won't let me take it off as he sobs if i do and walks around asking for "neck mama" and only stops sobbing when i put it back on. its only if it goes round the back of his neck he gets bothered although if he wakes up and it is at the back he is fine about it.

nigglewiggle Fri 24-Jul-09 15:14:10

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about on its own. Does sound like you are creating a rod for your own back though. By giving in on something you don't agree with because he tantrums is setting a bit of a precedent. If he's causing a fuss when wearing it - take it away.

chegirl Fri 24-Jul-09 15:28:02

Do you know what you are worrying about?

Is there a particular condition that think he may have?

I say that because it sound like you may be thinking of autism or aspergers.

The things you describe can be autistic behaviours but they are also very 'normal' behaviours for a two year old. Your DS would have to exhibit a lot more than this for a diagnosis of autisim.

I do not have any experience of OCD in a two year old but I understand it it a 'learned' neurosis rather than an organic condition isnt it? Would that not make it very unlikely for a two year old to have OCD? As i say, I am not an expert so please correct me if I have got that wrong.

My 18mth old has blankies. None of my other children ever had these. He will not settle without them. He doesnt mind which one but it has to be a cellular cotton one. Its very common for small children to have these objects.

The crucifix thing. I would think that he has got used to it so when it moves or isnt there he gets upset. A bit like the blanket, its a comfort object. I agree that it would be better to take it off if it is causing problems. He will be upset for a little while but with some distraction he will get over it very quickly.

TheLadyEvenstar Fri 24-Jul-09 15:32:35

Niggle, I am a bit lost, i am not sure what you mean about giving in on something i don't agree with....i was just concerned the way he got so upset if his chain was not in the position it should be iyswim?

Che, I think you have hit the nail on the head it is a comfort thing, he walks around and is so proud of his "neck" he shows everyone but won't let anyone but me and him touch it lol. Its not so much that it is causing a problem as it was me being concerned with the way he is so attached to it if that makes sense.

nigglewiggle Fri 24-Jul-09 15:38:06

Sorry, when you said he sobs when you take it off, I thought you meant you had tried to remove it and he had objected. I misinterpreted clearly smile.

smallwhitecat Fri 24-Jul-09 15:39:22

Message withdrawn

chegirl Fri 24-Jul-09 15:41:43

LES I am happy for my children to have comfort objects BUT if they become problematic I tend to get rid remove them gently.

If a comfort object becomes more of a problem than a comfort its time for it to go really.

He may well be a little boy that gets very attached to things and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it doenst start taking over your lives. I am not suggesting that this is the case at the moment btw smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now