Talk

Advanced search

ds refuses to reply when handed the telephone???

(5 Posts)
zebramummy Thu 23-Jul-09 20:43:38

ds has just turned for and had some speech delay in the past - when i am speaking to somebody on the phone (usually my mum) he will demand to speak to them but once handed the phone he will only make 'heavy breathing noises' instead of doing the usual give and take. i have noticed that my neice who is a year younger manages this just fine. is this a skill which they can actually be taught and if so how? my mother suggested quietly prompting in the background but he will not say anything though will start shouting out stuff as soon as he is a meter or so away

slng Thu 23-Jul-09 22:08:51

How old is he? DS1 (who talks for England or any other country) only started talking on the phone at about 4.5 - 5. Before that he would nod and shake his head in response but not talk. Though DS2 (3.3) does when prompted. So what the other person hears is "hello", silent interval, "bye". Don't think they realise the other person can't actually see them ...

Oh I see. He's four, is he?

Seona1973 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:15:15

dd (5.8years) will still not talk on the phone (in fact she will run out the room if we try and get her to talk to anyone). ds (2.9years) asks to speak on the phone

woodenchair Thu 23-Jul-09 22:39:29

Tis normal imo, ds 3.10 will not speak on the phone, dn 2.6 will happily chat. For Ds it's lack of confidence/shyness, he's the same when he arrives anywhere, including good friends and family, he'll get there when he's ready.

zebramummy Fri 24-Jul-09 20:01:58

thanks - ds is 4.1 just - he obviously wants to interact because i can tell by the way in which he varies his 'heavy breathing'! so maybe not ready yet, thats all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now