Talk

Advanced search

Baby doesn't giggle or laugh at all.....

(24 Posts)
Sayyesmummy Wed 22-Jul-09 15:00:54

Always the worrier here - but he is 19weeks and no giggles or laughs yet at all. He does smile and eye contact etc but this was delayed. Any experiences? I would so love to hear him laugh!! smile

hester Wed 22-Jul-09 15:03:18

I can't really remember what my dd was doing at that age (sleep deprivation taking its toll) but I'm fairly certain she wasn't giggling.

Actually, she was a very solemn baby and rarely laughed till about two. She didn't make much eye contact either. I WAS worried about her, but now (aged 3) she laughs and makes eye contact all the time.

posieparkerinChina Wed 22-Jul-09 15:03:23

Two of my children laughed when I did a silly accent, both times a poor impression of an Indian....which included smiling as I spoke and a singing voice. I can't remember when though.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 22-Jul-09 15:04:08

dd didnt laugh until 14mo... no delays, she just wasn't a happy baby. Loads of them now though (3.5)

Sayyesmummy Wed 22-Jul-09 15:48:37

he does look like he'd like to laugh!
<<<Goes off to practice smiley,singing Indian voice in the styley of It aint Half Hot Mum>>>

Fanjita Wed 22-Jul-09 16:01:05

My DS (3.3) was a very serious baby and lots of people used to comment on that fact but he grew out of it eventually

alison56 Wed 22-Jul-09 16:22:51

My DD1 was also very serious. She used to stare and frown and hardly ever smiled.

I was alone with her for long, long periods and TBH it was such hard work trying to make her happy that it left me a bit depressed and worried she would always be that way. My goodness she was a whinge-bag!

She's just turned four and she's a lovely, happy child - very curious and intelligent - which might have accounted for all the frowning and concentrating.

I've also now had a second daughter who is almost five weeks old and smiles all the time. I suppose they're all different and take heart that (1) they grow out of it and (2) subsequent babies might be different!

muffle Wed 22-Jul-09 16:27:49

DS was a bit like this - he smiled in a buddha-like way, so when we tried to make him laugh we felt really stupid - his expression seemed to say "Aren't they sweet, I suppose it's fun for them but I can't say I find it amusing".

But he did start laughing eventually - things that made him laugh were a silly high-pitched "boo!" sound and doing that thing where you make a popping sound by popping your finger out of your mouth.

BonsoirAnna Wed 22-Jul-09 16:35:39

Lie on the floor, put your baby on the floor on his back, and wiggle your legs in the air and see if he copies you.

It should make him laugh.

Sayyesmummy Wed 22-Jul-09 19:03:11

I tried it bonsoiranna! No go...but he did the thing that muffle described! Looked at me with a sympathetic smile as if he was indulging me!

EachPeachPearMum Wed 22-Jul-09 19:17:44

The one thing that did make her smile was putting a paper hat on (the type made from newspaper)... she loves slapstick now too... <<shudder>>

BonsoirAnna Thu 23-Jul-09 07:19:51

smile Well you got a reaction! That's good news!

pranma Thu 23-Jul-09 10:42:32

Have you tried blowing raspberries on his tum?that sends my 5 month old dgs into paroxysms of giggles!

notgotitinme Thu 23-Jul-09 10:52:50

I have pranma! He just never makes any sound for a giggle or laugh...though he sometimes looks like he does a silent one!

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 11:35:35

If he isn't vocalising sounds I would definately get a hearing test.
The neonatal hearing screen you got at birth only tests the inner ear. Your DS could still have a difficulty in the middle ear.

wannaBe Thu 23-Jul-09 11:45:59

does he make any noise? Does he make babbling/cooing noises? Does he respond if you talk to him?

Tbh I would also be inclined to speak to your gp and see if you can get his hearing tested.

pushmepullyou Thu 23-Jul-09 21:54:58

my DD managed a single laugh at 17 weeks, but didn't laugh regularly/properly until about 22/23 weeks. She's 8 months now and giggles her head off at everything!

If you're worried about his hearing get him checked out, but I would think he's still within the normal range, particularly if he's making other noises eg blowing raspberries, cooing etc.

pattymc Thu 23-Jul-09 21:58:44

sayyesmummy my ds didn't giggle or smile that easily until about 18 months, I never worried i just thought it a bit of a shame sometimes as thought he was going to be really serious but he is now nearly 2 and jumps and smiles and laughs at everyone, especially when he is being told off!!
don't worry x

WesternBelle Thu 23-Jul-09 22:09:27

I second the slapstick approach!

I'm sure your DS will laugh and giggle in time but from what I have seen lots of babies DO like the silly loud voices and generally enjoy making you act like a total berk for their amusement. (perhaps they are wiser than we think!).

What worked for us... Lots of "Boos" (esp when accompanied with giddy faces including rolling your eyes etc, do a long vocal run-up to it as well ie "Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.......BOO!), they come to anticipate the Boo bit and the anticipation sets off the giggles as much as anything.

What else... dancing their soft toys around complete with singing songs; hand puppets; lots of "Round and round the garden" on the tummy/foot, pausing between each line for effect; being lifted high in the air always gets a giddy grin/giggle.

Sayyesmummy Sat 25-Jul-09 16:50:03

Thanks all for your answers!
He does make noises and "talks" to you mostly on a quiet one to one sort of interaction. I am almost certain it's not a hearing issue.

I think I need to chill and let him take his sweet time!

ExplodingBananas Sat 25-Jul-09 21:24:19

Rib/feet tickling works for us with our 6 mo. Might just need a couple more months?

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 25-Jul-09 21:44:02

I second the slapstick - I remember DS1 laughing uncontrollably in the backpack with DH, and I tripped off the edge of the pavement. He was still laughing the tenth time I repeated it.

Also the 'aah - boo!' thing, we're you approach from a great height and give a little tickle'.

And I remember him giggling away in a toyshop when an older boy was firing a popgun.

Sayyesmummy Thu 30-Jul-09 15:29:18

Just had to re-vive my own thread!

Took ds2 swimming yesterday for first time. Dipping him in and out of the water when ...all of a sudden....a few little giggles escaped!

Nicest sound I've heard in a long time & bought tears to my eyes!

He later repeated his new found trick when I was singing Bob the Builder to ds1!

Huzzah!! smile

alison56 Fri 31-Jul-09 22:14:35

great! so pleased for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now