Talk

Advanced search

okay please help with ds clothes problem its a long one sorry!

(12 Posts)
mumtojames Tue 21-Jul-09 19:46:27

Hi my ds1 is 7yrs now and has this problem with clothes - mainly socks -which have lumps in and he cant wear them, but also boxers that ride up!! (he wont wear underpanst too tight you know!!) and now t-shirts with extra ribbing on the neck make him itch!
he has no excema/allerigies, but i am sure if he could he would walk around with nothing on.
its gone on for probably 2years now, ive tried reward charts for dressing with no fuss, pocket money incentives, patience and understanding as its is worse when hes worried or stressed about something. but surely at his age he should be getting to progress with it by now?
seemed to do okay with crocs and no socks so okay when that worked, but he now says the rub him and hurt him, so currently will only wear his new trainers with no socks. spoke to other mums but noone seems to have this problem!! anyone else ever had it? what did they do. ideas welcome thankyou xx

notevenamousie Tue 21-Jul-09 19:49:22

Does he have other "sensitivity" issues? To food, sounds, any other overly stimulating situations? I was just wondering if he'd fit on the "highly sensitive" spectrum?

CMOTdibbler Tue 21-Jul-09 19:52:11

I really feel for him, cos it's just how I was as a child. I still can't bear labels in my clothes, and hate lace or things round my neck.

During the summer holidays he can dress for comfort though, and go shopping to try and find things that don't rub and itch.

Sports socks can be OK if he checks for loose threads and seams inside, and maybe the sort of pants that are like jersey boxers - less likely to ride up or itch.

Are his new trainers washable ? If they are, I'd let him wear them without socks and just wash the trainers tbh

mumtojames Tue 21-Jul-09 19:53:44

nope nothing, nice laid back lad in every other respect. no problems at school, no hyper activity. generally 'normal' apart from this fetish. which drive us all mad!!

mumtojames Tue 21-Jul-09 19:56:11

Cmot, yes new trainers are washable, and to be honest, i came to the conclusion a long time ago, that there are bigger/more important arguments to have, then what he wear/or looks like, but will spend the hols in baggy tracky bottoms/shorts and a t-shirt he might like!

twoluvlykids Tue 21-Jul-09 19:56:22

I personally can't stand labels at the back of my neck and if I can I unpick them - cutting's no good, it makes it worse.

Have you tried him with socks inside out? That way, the seam round the toe is on the outside.

AmazingBouncingFerret Tue 21-Jul-09 20:02:07

My niece was like this from an early age, she wore all her socks inside out because she couldnt stand the seams. She hated those peasant type blouses and anything "fussy".
She refused point blank to wear any type of jeans.
She is 13 now and thankfully seems to have grown out of it issues with socks and jeans seemed to just disappear overnight, not sure if it was anything to do with new school and peer pressures?

mumtojames Tue 21-Jul-09 20:03:23

two luvly, yes they are often inside out, not paired - at all!!!
it is worse when hes worried/stressed, hes not a good talker about his feelings either, so this seems to be 'his control' i think? but its infuriating when your trying to go out - igive him plenty of notice to get ready, offer to help - but cant do anything right, but the rest of us - including his younger brother (5) and sister(1) are all waiting in the car. ive been known to take him out with nothing on his feet and taken the shoes/socks with us?
i just wondered really if anyone else had had this problem and if they had any tips, cos shouting at him just isnt and never has working!!! but i'm getting to the end of my tether with himsad

bradsmissus Tue 21-Jul-09 20:03:53

Mt DD was totally sock obsessed until about a year ago (she is nearly 11 now).

She wore nearly all socks inside out because she hated the seams digging in!

My DS is 4 and is always fidgetting with labels in T-Shirts.

You are not alone!!

mumtojames Tue 21-Jul-09 20:04:46

amazing - thanks hoping he'll out grow it, and probably just been one of those days - yes jeans are a COMPLETE NO NO !!!
it just seems so ridiculous!

morningsun Tue 21-Jul-09 20:57:37

My eldest ds was exactly like this lol I don't know why except he has red hair and was just really sensitive esp to

labels in clothes
seams in clothes
haircuts~had to have powder on neck as was v itchy[did go red]
sand on his feet on the beach~nightmare
socks~wouldn't wear them
shoes would not wear most of them~wore them very loose with undone laces
hated foods touching each other on the plate

on holiday once spent a fun hour or two trying to buy trainers/sandals in woollies to no avail

no real answer he's just very sensitive,grown out of it now[he's 18 lol]and has no clothes issues although still sometimes wears shorts when it's cold and jumpers when it's hot

have heard more recently of "sensory issues"~not entirely sure if there is more to it than my ds had but SN board would be the place to ask

may you have lots of patience lol

mumtojames Wed 22-Jul-09 13:29:14

thanks morningsun, might have a chat with HV next week. socks on today tho?! who knows what goes on in his head?!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now