Talk

Advanced search

Am I a crap parent??

(9 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:25:57

Feel like one!

DS 19 months has started having the mother of all trantrums over plug sockets, the hoover, anything with cause and effect that's dangerous.

Today I was drying my hair, he ran into the bedroom and started trying to pull the socket out of the wall. I turned it off said no, did the distration thing. Full on trantrum starts, I ignore, continue to dry my hair with foot over the socket. He pulls my foot, throws himself around. I turned off dryer, picked him up and put him in his cot telling him to calm down. I even gave him a book. HE WAS VERY VERY CROSS, as I walk out the bedroom.......BUMP!! He throw himself OUT OF THE COT!!!!! Never before has he been able to do that!!! I felt terrible, he was shocked. We had a cuddle and he calmed down. Needless to say I insisted DH took over and finally the hair was dry.

How should I have handled this??

LaTrucha Sun 19-Jul-09 20:28:32

I don't think he jumped out of the cot because of the way you handled it. I have a friend whoe 18 month old jumps out of the cot all the time. She bumps her head but doesn't seem to care!

I have no idea if what you did was the best thing to be done, but it's pretty much what I would have done, if that helps!

DD is 18 months. She can be like this. No cot jumping yet though!

LoveMyGirls Sun 19-Jul-09 20:29:37

You are NOT CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

You handled it brilliantly, you weren't to know he would throw himself out of his cot and I'm willing to bet he won't do that again.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 19-Jul-09 20:30:15

I think you handled it fine.

I doubt he knew what he was doing really and it was just momentum and anger that made him able to jump out of his cot.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:31:59

Thanks ladies! I just felt so bad, he was so cross!

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:32:37

These trantrums have been all week! Is this normal???

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 19-Jul-09 20:34:38

Just another part of what he is learning.

It is how you react that is important and you seem to be doing it all right.

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Jul-09 20:36:04

Thanks FabBakerGirl

girlsyearapart Sun 19-Jul-09 20:56:04

You never know what they can do till they do it for the first time! Dd1 rolled off the middle of a double bed in the space of time it took to change half of the sheet on a travel cot when I was about two steps away. She had only learnt to roll over the day before!! Dd2 been rolling for about 5 months now and I doubt she'd do it now.
FWIW you sound like you dealt with the whole tantrum thing very calmly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now