Talk

Advanced search

My 2 1/2yr old is afraid of the dark

(9 Posts)
Charleypoodle Sun 19-Jul-09 08:26:13

My 2 1/2yr old is not happy going to sleep any more! She used to be happy with her story & song and would be left awake to get herself to sleep, usually by 7.30pm easily. Recently she looks very scared and does not want to be left alone. We have talked to her about her fears, removed a few 'scary' teddies from her bookshelf etc.. Left a night light on.. still she will no longer go to sleep.
Any advice? Any good books used for parents with children afraid of the dark? Should I get a torch so that she has control of the light?

( to add: she has a 3month old baby brother who sleeps in the room next door but he has been next door for several weeks & the darkness fear is just since 3 or 4 days ago..he is usually fast asleep by 7pm when she has her story & song. Therefore I am not sure the two are linked.. although when her brother cries in the middle of the night we do have to pass her room to get to him.. )

Any advice? Thank you!

pranma Sun 19-Jul-09 12:38:08

The Baby Owl book 'I'm not scared'is delightful and helps abit I think

pranma Sun 19-Jul-09 12:40:37

Sorry posted too soon.Meant to add that a 'touch' lamp by the bed is a great idea combined with a plugin night light.The child just touches the light and it comes on with a soft light,another touch and it gets brighter and a 3rd switches it off.It seems to help if they can 'control' the dark.

Charleypoodle Sun 19-Jul-09 14:22:25

Thank you very much for advice.
I will invest in the book & the touch light.

Hope it helps her!

herbgarden Sun 19-Jul-09 20:51:21

We had the same around the same age. We have to leave a light on in the bathroom and keep that door open with his door slightly ajar and he has a night light on the part of the monitor which is in his room (although we don't use the monitor other than for that purpose any more)

Acinonyx Sun 19-Jul-09 20:59:13

We have dd's light on a dimmer switch so that we can set it on low. She's now 4 and I think this will be indefinite. I had a light until I was 17 - I still leave the hall light on if dh is away.

jkklpu Sun 19-Jul-09 21:01:31

Same problem here, too: we had to leave the landing light on until ds1 went to sleep and could put it off when we went to bed. Then got complicated when ds2 moved in aged 14 months as he was used to sleeping in the dark (insofar as he was used to sleeping at all).

Congratulations on having a 3mo who is fast asleep by 7 grin

Charleypoodle Mon 20-Jul-09 16:02:14

Yes I think the lights will be a permanent feature! I have since bought a glo worm ( remember those?!! ) - she is smitten so fingers crossed for the night to come.
I simply can not remove any more "scary" toys from her room, they all used to be her friends! She does often just say "I don't know" when I ask her what is wrong.. why she doesn't want to sleep.
It must be the dark.

Yes, 3month old doing well at 7pm ... it's the early hours where he's not quite as sleepy!

Turning lights on and off & keeping two happy is really tough!!

mrspooh Fri 24-Jul-09 19:50:28

prob no help but im 38 and still have to have hall light on!! dh used to when we go away me fiddling with curtains to let in light etc. no major reason for it although very vivid imagination still re what could be there. just may have to accept it is one of her things and not worry bout it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now