Talk

Advanced search

Anyone elses DCs had an eye test before age 2?

(5 Posts)
mum2RandR Sat 18-Jul-09 08:51:08

Bit worried because my 20 month old DD has to have an eye test next week. She had one when she was 1 which was basically shining a light in her eyes and seeing if she followed it properly.
I was just wondering if anyone knew if this would be what they did again or if its more when there that bit older?
There arent any concerns about her eyesight but my DS wears glasses because hes shortsighted and has done since he was 4.
Im really hoping she is ok and doesnt need glasses, at least not yet. Has anyone been in the same situation?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 18-Jul-09 09:01:19

DS was 2 when he got his eyes tested but not talking yet dd got hers done (and got glasses) at 2 and could speak so ery different.

DD they did a normal kind of eye test using pictures not letters and did spend a lot of time looking in her eye with lights because they can tell a lot by how the light bounces of retina and how the eye reacts to lights by doing that.

DS just looked in his eye with lights and got him to look at things close by and further away to see how his eyes were reacting.

bigstripeytiger Sat 18-Jul-09 09:22:31

When my DD hade her eyes tested at that age it involved time with the optometrist looking at cards with different pictures on, and having to say what the picture was of.

She also had drops to dilate her pupils, and the opthalmologist looked at the back of her eyes, and also measuring her prescription directly from looking at her eyes, rather than depending on her being able to name letters as they do for adults.

lolaismyfavoriteandmybest Sun 19-Jul-09 12:46:10

It will depend on what level of language your dd has. if there is enough they have simple line drawing pictures of an apple, a car, a clock, a house and some other I cant remember they can use these close up or from a distance and they have them in graded sizes just like an adult or older child would read progressivley smaller letters.

if she is not that verbal they will probably use a series of grey cards with line drawings on them. they hold the card infront of the child and swap between cards. Sometimes the picture is on the top half of the card, sometimes on the bottom. If the child can see the picture they look up or down correspondingly. the contrast on the pictures gets progressivly worse and the picture smaller until the child can't see it any more and this is how the visual acuity is determined.

sorry about poor typing. am visually impaired and trying to wing it on a laptop I can't really see

mum2RandR Sun 19-Jul-09 14:55:45

Thanks for your replies everyone. For some reason I feel really anxious about this eye test, think its because I was quite shocked when I was told DS had really bad eyesight. Mothers guilt I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now