Talk

Advanced search

Baby has one ear significantly bigger than the other...bit worried...

(7 Posts)
AzureBlueSky Thu 16-Jul-09 20:24:59

Hi, wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest or has any experience of this. My LO is just over 11 weeks old, I noticed that he has one ear (the right one) much bigger than the other in size and shape, it also appears to be further forward too. A month or so ago I noticed that his right nostril and right eye are slightly smaller than the ones on the left side (though hardly noticeable), so it looks as though the whole of his right side is a different size and shape to his left. As I said, it isn't particularly noticeable (the eye and nostril anyway), although I can see it.

Just wondered whether anyone else has experienced this, or whether it can signify some underlying problem. Should I take him to the Doc's? Grateful for any replies.

cakesaregood Thu 16-Jul-09 23:04:09

It's something only a mother would notice wink. I noticed the same with my PFB. One ear was dinky (like his dad's) the other was probably normal (?) It was difficult to compare as you can't see them at the same time .

I did mention it to the HV who reassured me. (Our HVs are laid back if you're concerned and vice versa!) I remember noticing it for a few months, but at age 4 they seem quite normal (if dirty and sandy).

I will be checking in the morning though!!

coolma Fri 17-Jul-09 14:55:24

Look up 'Macrotia' if you're really worried. That's the medical term smile

TurtleAnn Fri 17-Jul-09 20:02:37

You could mention it to the practice nurse at your GP surgery when you go for your next jabs. She has full nurse medical training and will be better placed than a Health Visitor to advise whether you should speak to the GP.

theboob Fri 17-Jul-09 20:05:09

i noticed this with ds2, but now at 2 you cant tell anymore, and you could only tell before looking from the back smile

AzureBlueSky Fri 17-Jul-09 21:20:48

Thanks for your replies Looking back at my description it's more that one ear is normal sized and the other is smaller and higher up. He's still my gorgeous boy..I just worried that something was wrong. I'll ask the nurse when he goes for his jabs next.

Kalikaroo Sat 18-Jul-09 11:37:07

My DS (13 weeks) was also born with one side slightly bigger than the other (ear, arm, hand etc.) It does seem to have nearly evened out now though. I think it might just be that one side is just developing a little bit slower than the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now