Advanced search

Health Visitor Advice & Checks

(5 Posts)
maxybrown Thu 16-Jul-09 09:19:22

Ok, Ds was 22 months yesterday, so getting him weighed reguarly is not a huge priority anymore. He is a healthy lad and doing well. His speech is slow, but other areas excellent.

I have been taking him to be weighed, mainly because he hadn't put weight on since before christmas last year, but never lost either. Anyway, took him yesterday and he had put on 3lb - hoorah! In 8 months hmm but he is healthy and certainly doesn't lack energy.

Recently, his eating though has gone from bad to worse. I tried to mention this yesterday but she just said oh it's been hot hasn't it, without even looking at me. Now, this isn't the HV it is an assistant, you have to request to see a HV, who, I have never seen, wouldn't know her if I fell over her.

I just came away a bit deflated. I'm not overly worried, but it would have been nice to have been listened to. I asked about his 2 yr check which I told had been stopped now.

The clinic that I go to is actually slighlty out of my area now, but it is the one we have always been to as my doctors are still over there, who is fab btw, although I've never mentioned anything to him as always felt it was HV job.

I have friends in other areas who are always saying HV this HV that.......???? He has never had his height checked and little is filled in in his book. But I am capable of doing these things myself and I do have some idea of children, but they do not know this.

Should I just go to docs about his speech then? Or should I try and find a nearer do I do this??

Sorry to sound like a big moan, just felt bit let down yesterday. In fact only time I have had positive HV experience was when he was first born and it was a stand in Hv and she was really lovely and helpful, but can't remember where she works.
Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Gingerbics Thu 16-Jul-09 12:20:18

Sorry to hear you're having a stressful time. I would try and find a HV in your area, there's usually a number in front of your red book and tell them you've got concerns about your little one's sppech. They can then decide whether he needs referral to a speech and language therapist.

I know the health visitors are really stretched due to staffing shortages and tend to have alot of their time taken up with child protection and domestic violence.

Althought he 2 yr check has been stopped I think they still do 'targetted checks' so if you have concerns then you're able to request one.
Good Luck

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 12:23:38

At 22mnths my son had no words, and my other son had very few, i'd not worry too much about it yet. I would see your doctor if you are really concerned about anything.

TotalChaos Thu 16-Jul-09 12:26:19

if you like your GP, I'ld just go to the GP to talk about concern about your DS's speech, rather than try and find an HV who may or may not be as nice as the GP. Might even be worth you phoning up the local speech therapy department yourself (if you google your local PCT services you should be able to get a phone number for it), and see what they advise - e.g. some areas have drop in SALT clinics, some areas let you refer yourself rather than through HV.

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 16-Jul-09 12:26:23

HV is in crisis. They have been roped into child protection and have little time left for checks etc. Apparently the govt have forgotten to tell parents this. Yes, I had a long talk with a HV who is not very happy with the changes recently. grin

If you have concerns about his speech/want a 2 year check then I think you could probably try and ring the HV direct and explain your concerns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: