Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice on using hungrier baby formula....

(12 Posts)
indi4 Wed 15-Jul-09 20:20:38

Hi I have just to my delight discovered that Hipp Organic are now doing a hungrier baby formula.
Not sure if I should give it in every feed or just around night times???
I have a very hungry baby on my hands, so hopefully this will help and I can then hold off the weaning a little longer.....

Any advice welcome....

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 20:23:00

how hungry is hungry and how old is your little one?

indi4 Wed 15-Jul-09 20:30:41

Sorry he is 16 weeks and is having 1170 mls of formula between 7am & 10.30pm over 6 feeds.

I guess to some that may not seem much, however compared my eldest who near ever drank that amount, it seem a lot!

nannyL Wed 15-Jul-09 20:33:05

why not start with just the evening feeds and you can alwas swap a few more feeds over in the next few weeks if you still feel he needs it.

I agree the hungry baby formular is preferable to early weaning smile

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 20:34:18

what does that transalate to as oz? is he draining a full bottle every feed?

to be honest, if he is sleeping through and satisfied, i;d leave well alone

babies do have frequent growth spurts whihc are best satisfied with more milk whihc is more filling , nutritious and safer than food

weaning is not recommended until around 26 weeks..even if it was a bit earlier, you need to know what signs to look for...

e.g sitting unaided, good head control, loss of tongue thrust reflex etc. etc..

indi4 Wed 15-Jul-09 20:41:47

Hi LuluMaman,

Sorry I don't work in ounces, however yes a full bottle each feed and is often looking for more !

Yes I want to hold the weaning off as long as possible as I waited until 6 months with my first and I have my hand full with a 19mth old on the run as well !

I will go with nannyL and start with the evening feeds first.

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 21:20:40

sounds like a plan.. personally, i would introduce it first in the morning though, just in case gives him a tummy ache and makes him unsettled, and then start swapping over if it agrees with him

Gingerbics Thu 16-Jul-09 12:23:24

Hi sounds like a great plan. Just to say I'm sure I read that Hipp Organic milks are not as nutritionally complete as the other standard formulas...sma, C&G, Aptamil. I think its something to do with the organic rulings not letting them adding all the extra things the other milks have. Hope that makes sense.
Prob worth looking into.

LuluMaman Thu 16-Jul-09 12:28:53

on that basis alone, i personally would carry on giving the organic milk. formula does not need to be stuffed with fish oils and all sorts, IMO, it can give a baby a runny tummy and does not make the milk any better or any closer to breastmilk than the other formulas. but definitely worth looking into smile

AnarchyAunt Thu 16-Jul-09 12:36:27

OP - sounds fine to introduce if you feel he needs the sustenance, definitely better than weaning. I'd agree with Lulu and start in the morning so you can see how he gets on with it.

Gingerbics - all formulae have to comply with the same nutritional standards by law.

Organic ones do have less ingredients - but IMO that could well be a good thing. Lots of the ingredients added to infant formula are somewhat dubious in origin and benefit - look here and here for some discusion on this.

'All the extra things' may not be of any benefit whatsoever - more is not better when it comes to formula.

AnarchyAunt Thu 16-Jul-09 12:37:49

That should say, more is not necessarily better.

indi4 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:10:26

Thanks guys.... Well I went right ahead last night before reading these messages and gave his last 2 feeds with the Hungrier Baby. He woke the same time and certainly was not as hungry today which must have been nice for him.
So far no reaction - I didn't even think there might be one as it is the same brand (how naive)....and very lucky there wasn't !

So I will continue with just the evening ones for now.

Thanks for all of your imput

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now