Talk

Advanced search

3yo dd: dead of night opposition defiance - how does one handle it...

(21 Posts)
spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:00:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

two2many Wed 15-Jul-09 13:15:57

hi spin , sorry cant give you any advice but just so you know you are not alone , i am trying to settle dd also 3 in her own bedroom & have 22 nights(yes im counting) of
HELL . exactly the same as your dd " i want you" then i go in & she flips out into a full blown tantrum hmm
sunday night was the worst - it was 5 am before i got into my own bed , dd exhausted herself by then screaming sad

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:23:19

CatIsSleepy Wed 15-Jul-09 13:26:32

we had a phase of this with dd1-it was infuriating and exhausting (particularly so as I was pregnant at the time and sleep was precious) and there appeared to be no good way of dealing with it. But it was just a phase, if that's any consolation...

WriggleJiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 13:28:56

Would it work better if you moved ds in with you so he could continue to get a good night sleep no matter what is going on.

At that time of night I would give dd 2 chances to explain what she wants (I'm presuming her speech is reasonable), and then ignore her. 3 is old enough to understand day and night, and old enough to be able to let others sleep

WHat is she like during the day? Is she still having a sleep? Is there anything she looks forward to that you could cancel because 'Mummy didn't get enough sleep last night so I'm too tired to take you' ?

two2many Wed 15-Jul-09 13:32:03

i would swear that they are just trying to test us hmm be firm
who would have thought our SWEET LITTLE ANGELS can change into LITTLE DEVILS at night time grin & not even a full moon in sight ha .
earplugs for your ds might be a good idea i reckon

two2many Wed 15-Jul-09 13:33:31

good luck for tonight x

WriggleJiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 13:37:14

Just a thought, but does ds actually get disturbed by dd? Only I spent many a worried night rushing into the girls' bedroom whenever there was a noise incase one of them woke the other, until I worked out that they both wake up to unusual noises, but sleep through each other's noise.

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:37:39

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:39:59

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:41:38

Drusilla Wed 15-Jul-09 13:41:56

We had this with DS for about 6 months. He seemed to just wake up at 1am spoiling for a fight! In the end the only way I could deal with it was to go downstairs and have a cup of tea and read a book and ignore him completely until he calmed down (not a lot of help for you I realize). We did notice there seemed to be a pattern of him doing it on nights where he hadn't eaten particularly well at dinner, I wondered if he was hungry. I got really strict with him about finishing his dinner and it has all stopped now but obv that could be just coincidence...

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:45:23

Drusilla Wed 15-Jul-09 13:46:15

Lol at pacing from room to room shouting at people, that is exactly the same as DS! He gave up his daytime nap at 20 months but since then had been a 13 hrs a night sleeper, however, not at all an early riser so the other thing we did was wake him early the morning after instead of letting him lie in, which is what he wanted to do. I think there was also an element of him not being as tired as normal on the nights he was doing it

Drusilla Wed 15-Jul-09 13:49:09

Yes, he is incredibly bad tempered during day if he has gone too long without food, definitely needs lilttle and often. He too was vile after daytime naps grin It was a blessed relief when he gave them up tbh, as by the time he came out of his post nap strop, it was lamost time for bed anyway...

two2many Wed 15-Jul-09 13:51:31

Drusilla 6 months shock omg
that will take a whole lot of will power hmm

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:54:03

Drusilla Wed 15-Jul-09 13:54:08

I have made myself sound more than hardcore then I am - it was 2 or 3 nights a week over a period of about 6 months grin Good God, I would have died from sllep deprivation!

spinspinsugar Wed 15-Jul-09 13:55:14

two2many Wed 15-Jul-09 14:05:05

night night spin , update us in the morning
hope dd sleeps tonight ,
ha i reckon my dd is in this for the long hall , she is due to start Montessori school in sept maybe that's what she needs to tire her out (i can always dream) grin

fruitstick Wed 15-Jul-09 14:09:23

spin, is she actually awake?

Every now and again DS wakes up shouting in the night. I go in, he asks for milk. If I get him some he literally takes it and throws it the length of the room. Then cries that he wants milk. ad infinitum.

Thing is, although his eyes are open I'm not entirely sure he's awake. Nothing I do will calm him and if I try to intervene he starts thrashing around and gets worse. In the morning, he doesn't remember it at all.

I think it might be a form of night terror/sleep walking.

Or maybe it's just an excuse for me to go back to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now