Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

pencil obsession

(5 Posts)
LottieG Thu 19-May-05 16:19:50

Hi everyone,

My one year old daughter has taken to clutching a pen or pencil in her hand at all times and gets hysterical if I try to take it away. It's so dangerous as she is crawling and cruising everywhere. I keep trying to hide all pens out of reach but somehow she finds one. She also likes teaspoons and keeps taking them from cafes!

Anyone else experienced this? Is it normal??

Lottie

WigWamBam Thu 19-May-05 16:25:03

They all get fixated by things; you just have to be really careful where you put the pens and teaspoons. Keep taking them off her, even if she does get hysterical, and try and find something safe to exchange them for.

jackeroo Thu 19-May-05 17:03:17

my nearly one year old DS is the same with pens - and other things he can't have like the remote control and dad's glasses. i usually take them from him and quickly place him in front of a mirror which distracts him from the hysterics! pretty sure it's normal...

Lucymoo Thu 19-May-05 22:09:26

pens, spoons,phones(including mobile),remote controls(can never find them, or channel suddenly changes or t.v goes off). My little boy has got it down to a fine art. He's just started walking which is even more scarier when it comes to carrying pens in his mouth. Not sure whether normal comes into it, but your not alone

vicdubya Thu 19-May-05 22:41:29

Ds 14 months doesn;t play with toys unless locked in a room with only toys available.

He just wrecks rooms and plays with remotes, mobile phones (called the emergency services the other day on ds mobile ) saucepans, brooms, hairbrushes, books, paper, phone directories, spoons...

not really sure why toys were invented for this age group..?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now