Talk

Advanced search

I have become a shouty mum to naughty kids

(12 Posts)
blueballoons Tue 14-Jul-09 21:17:37

DD (5) and DS(3) used to be much better at doing the day to day things that I expected them to do - i.e. getting dressed/undressed, allowing me to brush their teeth, eating at the table, and playing for maybe 10 minutes at a time without squabbling. But somehow, something has slipped and most of this is not happening smoothly anymore. They are driving me insane, not doing anything I ask (even after I give up asking nicely and start shouting), and squabbling constantly.

Please help me get some perspective with some suggestions for how to get back to some reasonable standard of behaviour...Please!

Wallace Tue 14-Jul-09 21:56:59

Sounds like my older two at the moment.

They are 8 and 10 hmm Sorry that doesn't help...

nimbs Tue 14-Jul-09 22:00:11

Hi - not got much constructive advice i'm afraid as i'm in exactly the same boat - so you're not alone hmm

What has helped improve things a bit recently

happy face chart - where they can get two smiley faces a day (ie before lunch/after) if they do good stuff - ie no fighting - but if they don't they don't get a smiley face at all - and they will get a treat if they have enough smiles

i'm trying to be more positive - so rather than saying no shouting/fighting etc am saying that I like nice voices/sharing also I'm tuning out a lot!!

will watch this post with interest though to see what other wiser mumsnetters can offer

danthe4th Tue 14-Jul-09 22:50:08

Normal life!!!!!

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 14-Jul-09 22:52:58

end of school term and tired?

Pyrocanthus Tue 14-Jul-09 23:11:02

Yup, sounds like a star chart job to me.

Unless, as DEM says, this is just temporary tiredness. My 9 & 11 year-olds have practically lost the ability to dress themselves these last couple of weeks.

hellymelly Tue 14-Jul-09 23:13:06

Oh well I am in the same state.I hate my shouty default setting but no small people (or large ones for that matter)listen to me at all until I shout.I may try a star chart,but will DH take to it?

moosemama Tue 14-Jul-09 23:51:15

Thank heavens its not just us! Ds1 (7) and ds2 (5) have seemingly forgotten how to do almost everything they have been able to do for themselves since the age of 3 over the past couple of weeks and its been driving me up the wall.

They forget to flush the toilet, have to be sent back to wash their hands. Leave the baby gate open, put their tshirts and shorts on backwards, forget to wash their faces etc etc and don't get me started on the constant squabbling.

End of term-itis. I remember it being exactly the same at the end of last year's summer term. Roll on the holidays, we are going to spend the first week doing absolutely nothing, going nowhere and having pj days, hopefully then they will be rested enough.

Oh, and we have smiley charts all printed up ready for the holidays as well. The have to get a smile for morning, afternoon and evening every day to earn a treat.

Pyrocanthus Tue 14-Jul-09 23:52:36

Depends how many stars you give him.

moosemama Wed 15-Jul-09 00:15:17

Hmm, I would be more worried about what treat DH would be expecting in return for his stars/smileys. grin

Pyrocanthus Wed 15-Jul-09 09:16:33

blush

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 15-Jul-09 12:32:01

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now