Talk

Advanced search

Freaking out - baby just stopped breathing

(17 Posts)
chaosisawayoflife Tue 14-Jul-09 19:24:05

Just got my daughter (13 months) out of the bath, dried her off and started dressing her. She normally cries at this point because she loves the bath, doesn't want to get out, and is tired, hungry and doesn't want to be pulled about. Tonight she really screamed though and then did that thing where they breath in and still have the screaming face but don't make any noise. This went on, and on and she wasn't breathing. I went to pick her up and she was completely rigid. I blew in her face and after what felt like ages she took a breath and screamed. She was blue all around her mouth and around her temples. It terrified me. Is this normal? I have no idea why she cried so hard, I was worried that I'd hurt her in some way but she settled fairly quickly with her milk. Is she likely to stop breathing like this again? Should I seek help? Trying not to panic but I'm home alone and no-one to talk to about it.

sweetfall Tue 14-Jul-09 19:26:38

lots of children hold their breath when they tantrum

it's not dangerous

the worst that will happen is that they'll faint and start breathing again

sounds like you dealt with it well

don't worry

but do expect it again

Temper, breath holding, normal.

Scary I know but a phase hopefully. Blowing on her face is the right thing to do - although docs used to advise slapping nephew!! Which it did work just fine but still... shock

sweetfall Tue 14-Jul-09 19:28:41

here you go
http://www.kidsbehaviour.co.uk/ChildrenAndBreathHolding.html

chaosisawayoflife Tue 14-Jul-09 19:28:45

Thank you. Nice to have reassurance. Was about to start googling but I know therein madness lies!

Actually I shouldn't really say temper as it doesn't start that way, but in some children it certainly becomes a habit and a thing they learn to get attention, like my nephew.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 14-Jul-09 19:30:20

I would think that either she held her breath herself or she swallowed her tongue. Either way I would be tempted to take her to a GP tomorrow.

Are you ok?

Useful

AitchTwoOh Tue 14-Jul-09 19:31:11

poor you, it sounds so frightening. i hope your heart rate gets back to normal soon. smile

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 14-Jul-09 19:31:33

My baby did this when he was 10 months old.

He would cry as soon as I took him out of the bath as he was desperate to have his milk.

He cried and then stopped breathing while laid on the floor. I picked him up and he seemed an age before he breathed again.

Never done it since.

Have a drink and try not to stress.

sweetfall Tue 14-Jul-09 19:32:02

my sister used to do it

my mum used to slap her till she stopped

my sister is 47 now grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 14-Jul-09 19:45:47

I could be wrong but I am sure I have read you shouldn't slap them.

Sweetfall, FBG, this was still recommended upto 8 years ago, not the PC thing to be told to do now though of course!!

chaosisawayoflife Tue 14-Jul-09 20:12:22

Thanks everyone. Had a glass of wine now and heart has almost stopped thumping. Really hoping it was a one off, not sure I can cope with that again. Terrible urge to go upstairs and check on her but I know she's ok and if I go up I'll wake her and have a nightmare settling her again.

JackBauer Tue 14-Jul-09 20:57:53

Oh god, DD2 did this once, scared the living daylights out of me. I had taken her cup away as she was trying to wash her hair with juice and she just started screaming and then going blue.

I had no clue what to do so gave her her cup back. She started breathing instantly. The cowbag. Has never done it again.

Have some more wine, heart will go back to normal soonsmile

mumnanny1 Tue 14-Jul-09 21:15:52

My son, now nearly 4, has done this since he was a tiny baby. It's awful isn't it?! Doesn't happen very much now, thank god. Only if he's really hurt himself. I also blow in his face and it seems to get him breathing again. hard not to panic but she will be fine, so don't worry.

Supercherry Wed 15-Jul-09 20:10:27

My DS, 17mths, has always done the breath holding thing before letting out a huge wail when upset. He used to do it from newborn when his nappy was changed for example, and we were incredibly gentle and would try and shush and be soothing etc. DS too has had, at times, a bluish tinge to his lips momentarily while doing this.

I always just soothe and calm him as best as I can and it's fine. With DS it definitely wasn't something he was doing on purpose just how he cried really. He does it far far less now.

I wouldn't be worried but if you are take your DD to the GP just to put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now