Talk

Advanced search

Can I take my DD (9 weeks old) swimming yet?

(8 Posts)
GabriellesMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 19:15:37

Not sure what topic this would come under but was just wondering if its alright if I take my DD, who is 9 weeks tomorrow, swimming this week? She had her first jags yesterday (the ones they get at 8 weeks).

Thanks

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 14-Jul-09 19:16:07

Yes

allaboutme Tue 14-Jul-09 19:17:51

some pools have policies with minimum age allowed in, so check with your pool
my old local 2 pools both said 5 months

loler Tue 14-Jul-09 19:29:03

I was told told that it was fine after the first jabs but from a purely practical side why would you want to? They are really cold, noisy places for tiny babies who don't really get anything out of it they wouldn't get out of a nice clean, non chemically, warm bath.

I would leave it until she can enjoy it a bit more.

Loopymumsy Tue 14-Jul-09 21:00:34

Message withdrawn

RinkyDinkyPinky Tue 14-Jul-09 21:06:46

I took DD swimming at 5 months first time. The main factor in their comfort at this point, according to the swimming instructor, is their ability to keep warm. Very young babies often don't have enough body fat to keep warm in a relatively cool pool.

Remember you loose heat quicker in water than in air of the same temperature.

So it really depends how well padded your babe is. You can help by putting your baby in a neoprene wrap suit or one with arms and legs. And go in the pool for a relatively short time 20 mins max at this age. Might be better to wait a month or two.

When you do go in the pool at ~ 5 mnths you can encourage your baby to kick by moving her through the water rather than just holding her against you. That way she'll stay warmer than if she weren't moving.

KWS5 Tue 14-Jul-09 21:10:16

my ds is 13 weeks and i was put off swimming from what others had said about him having injections first etc, i asked my hv and she said it does not matter over injections and it was up to me if i felt he would be happy and comfortable with it then no problem in taking him i feel the main thing is keeping him warm so you might only be in for ten mins but if she enjoys it it will be worth it.

monkeyfacegrace Tue 14-Jul-09 21:20:58

My premmie son first went swimming at 1 week corrected. (he was 7 weeks prem and they have jabs at actual age, not corrected). Im afraid he had to come along as it was routine as normal with my toddler daughter! So I had a 6lb baby in the pool, it was so cute. Luckily, our local pool is like a bath, and the air temp is kept at 30deg. Its not a plain square pool either,more of a fun park, so there was loads of 'toys' to keep him amused!
As a result, he is not 7 months and loves swimming, giggles all through it, then sleeps solidly for the next 24 hours!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now