Talk

Advanced search

what classes does your 2-3 year old do?

(27 Posts)
ilovetochat Tue 14-Jul-09 15:11:29

DD has just turned 2 and is too old for her library club now, as a baby i took her to baby massage, makaton signing, breast feeding classes, all of which she has outgrown.
she still does a singing session term time only but im wondering what follows baby classes?
any suggestions?

DaddyJ Tue 14-Jul-09 15:15:20

We are thinking of signing up our dd for gym classes,
I have forgotten what the company is called but it sounded good.

Friends of ours take their children (2&3) to kids football.

ilovetochat Tue 14-Jul-09 15:16:49

thanks daddyj, i have looked for football but couldnt find anything local (Midlands).

CMOTdibbler Tue 14-Jul-09 15:17:36

DS(3)goes to Rugby Rookies which he really likes

alicecrail Tue 14-Jul-09 15:19:59

I think some dance classes start at 2, and there is swimming too. We take DD (20m) to a stay and play centre that runs messy play sessions as an added session that you book. Childrens cooking?
Toddler yoga?

llareggub Tue 14-Jul-09 15:20:04

My DS (3 in October) goes to a swimming class once a week and is enrolled in a pre-school, where he goes twice a week.

I take him to a gym session which is similar to tumbletots and we meet up with friends quite a bit. We occasionally go to a story-telling session at the local theatre and to a playgroup.

Not sure where in the Midlands you are but there are football sessions for little ones in Coventry and in Leamington.

ilovetochat Tue 14-Jul-09 15:34:12

thanks for all the ideas, we are near walsall. i take her swimming myself but might book her some lessons for next term as she loves the water.
i would love her to do toddler yoga but cant find classes nearby, is there a website?

SarahL2 Tue 14-Jul-09 15:34:56

DS is 2.4 and I take him to Toddler Time (singing and movement), swimming lessons, messy play sessions, storytime at the library, mother and toddler group, softplay and a thing called 'Pushchairs in the Park' that our local council runs (a walk round with activities to do on the way).

Have also tried 'Little Kickers' football classes but he seemd a bit small to get much out of it for the amount it cost. He's getting big enough for dane classes now too which I'm going to look in to.

Our council has a Families Information Service which produce booklets detailing everything that's on in the area. Maybe give your council a ring and see if they do something similar?

MayorNaze Tue 14-Jul-09 15:36:04

do you have childrens centres? get thee to one. loads of stuff and generally FREE grin

SarahL2 Tue 14-Jul-09 15:37:17

Have you looked here ?

alicecrail Tue 14-Jul-09 15:38:40

I don't know, it was just something i had heard being metioned at a play group and had it at the back of my mind to try when DD got older if we were looking for activities. We are very lucky here though because we have a surestart childrens centre which is fab and has something running most days. Perhaps find out if there is one in your area? Ours also has posters up of other activities run by other groups (think that may even have been where i heard about the yoga - but not sure!) It could be a good place to start.

ilovetochat Tue 14-Jul-09 15:44:22

she did the signing and singing at the childrens centre but most things are 0-2 so she is too old now. their toddler group is afternoons when she sleeps 2-4pm and i dont want to ruin her sleep.
will look for family information services and yoga thanks.

Littlepurpleprincess Tue 14-Jul-09 16:45:18

DS goes to Active Tots (like tumble tots) and swimming lessons.

ilovetochat Tue 14-Jul-09 21:32:13

at what age did your dc start swimming lessons?

SarahL2 Wed 15-Jul-09 07:25:57

DS started swimming lessons when he was 6 months old. At the time it was more a lesson for me to get confident holding him in the water but he's very confident and learning lots now.

poshtottie Wed 15-Jul-09 07:39:11

Ds nearly 3 has done gym, swimming and kindermusik over the last year.

Have a look on here for any toddler yoga classes in your area.

poshtottie Wed 15-Jul-09 07:41:04

We have also done Mucky Pups which is an art and messy play class.

chocolatefudgebrownie Wed 15-Jul-09 07:41:16

music group and that is it! The children's classes around here are v.expensive.

littleducks Wed 15-Jul-09 07:52:23

Dd is now three but at 2-3 she used to do tumble tots (which is very expensive but has actually over time been great, she is now in the 3+ class and stays on her own and climbs, plays, shares and LISTENS)

We go to an excellent music club, but tbh if it wasnt for the one we go to being so good and ds enjoying it to I would just take her to bookstart rhymetime, which is similar but FREE

At two a good playgroup with free play can be better than classes, as is cheaper and you get a coffee

What is your dd interests (i use that very loosely i know she is two) Mine have two much energy so i choose running about and getting rid of energy activities, if your dd is calmer then a messy arts activity could be better

SoupDragon Wed 15-Jul-09 07:55:31

Swimming lessons and a mother and toddler group. They don't need oodles of classes.

She's 3.5 now and has just started Baby Ballet because she loves dancing.

SoupDragon Wed 15-Jul-09 07:56:13

DD started her swimming lessons at 11 weeks old.

ilovetochat Wed 15-Jul-09 11:11:35

thanks poshtotty, ive just emailed about tinytots yoga and the lady is doing a class here for toddlers soon so that will be good.

littleducks, she loves climbing, running, jumping etc.
she hates anything messy and shudders at playdoh, will not touch paint, foam, just started to touch sand.
she loves singing,dancing and showing off and pretends to do ballet like angelina ballerina.

she is water confident and can somehow do a width in armbands by kicking,wriggling so may be ready for lessons? i didnt want to pay to get used to water as i have done that myself.

dinkystinky Wed 15-Jul-09 21:40:29

DS1, between the age of 2 and 3, did baby swimming classes, playgroup dropins (children centres and other local places are good), little kickers football classes and a music class (where he could run around lots). That combined with lots of trips to the park kept him very entertained - and busy (he's one of those kids who has to be run around lots).

Karam Sat 18-Jul-09 18:07:36

My DD (2.7) does two classes - A preschool gymnastics class which I do with her. She will do the class alone from 3 and a ballet class. She has done gymnastics since before she turned 2, and ballet from not long after. Both are very good for her developmentally - not too babyish, but not too difficult iyswim.

nappyaddict Mon 03-Aug-09 11:41:13

Tumble tots
Swimming
Gymnastics
Trampolining
Dance
Socatots
Rhythm Time
Mucky Pups

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now