Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you give infacol and calpol to a 2 month old in quick succession?

(9 Posts)
YodaisaCat Tue 14-Jul-09 13:38:38

I have an eight week old DS and he is going through a period of screaming in the evenings. He has wind problems and colic, I think. So I've been trying to remember to give him infacol before every feed. However, last night he was very hot and coughing and since I've had a sore throat and am breastfeeding him, I thought some Calpol might soothe him too in case we have a cold. But can you give babies both medicines at the same time or very close together, does anyone know? In fact, he's screaming now. Has been all morning.... Any help appreciated. Thanks!

MadreInglese Tue 14-Jul-09 13:42:34

Do you actually ingest infacol? Doesn't it just go all the way through IYSWIM

Bramshott Tue 14-Jul-09 13:43:44

I think Calpol is not recommended under 3 months in any case is it?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 14-Jul-09 13:45:29

I thought calpol before 3 months was only licensed for after their vaccinations.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 14-Jul-09 13:49:18

"Oral. A 2.5 ml (60 mg paracetamol) dose for babies who develop post-vaccination fever at 2 months followed, if necessary, by a second dose 4 to 6 hours later. The same 2 doses may be given for other causes of fever or mild to moderate pain provided the infant weighs over 4 kg and was not born before 37 weeks gestation. Medical advice should be sought promptly if further doses are required or if the cause of the infant's fever or pain is not known."

This is what the recommendations are for under 3 months.
Yes you can give both together.

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 13:50:42

If he's hot and coughing I would take him to the doctor at this age - you shouldn't give them Calpol until 6 months.

YodaisaCat Tue 14-Jul-09 13:58:11

OK, thanks. I didn't want to give him Calpol but it did seem to soothe him and I'd read the instructions that said it was OK from 2 months and over 4kg. Obviously I want to limit the use of it though. But after three hours of screaming for no clear reason (not hungry, dirty, etc.) I thought it might help. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 19:52:34

Sorry - it's a long time since I had babies - they must have changed the recommendations. Hope he's better soon.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 14-Jul-09 20:11:54

I was surprised when I looked too Seeker pretty sure it wasn't recommended 3 years ago when I had ds and definately a no no when dd was born almost 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now