Talk

Advanced search

sleep positions

(7 Posts)
jenster1976 Tue 14-Jul-09 12:00:28

Does anyone else (taking a deep breath here) let their baby sleep on its front or side. My new dd (6 weeks) will absolutely not sleep on her back, so for the sake of all our sanities I have been letting her sleep as she's comfortable, with the view
she's with me, near me all the time, with all the noise and disturbance that being a SAHM with a toddler involves, so am constantly aware of her and her us I think. I'm comfortable with this, but just wonder if anyone else is also flouting all the recommendations!

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 12:31:44

I didn't, but before the recommendations for putting them down on their back, the recommendations were to put them on their front.
Everyone my age will have been put down to sleep on their front I would have said!
My advice would be not to force her into it, but if she is comfortable that way then just go with it.
Wonder why she won't sleep on back though? Maybe colic?

Mirandawilliams Tue 14-Jul-09 12:47:04

My ds was the same and would not sleep on his back without making tremendous amounts of noise (so much so that I could not sleep). He also needed to be swaddled as he moved his arms and legs so much. He has been sleeping on his front since he was about 8 or 9 weeks as I felt the weather got too hot for swaddling. He is still in the same room as me (he is now 14 weeks) and I also have a monitor that detects breathing for when he is napping or in bed alone before I go up in the evenings. He is sleeping 100 times better and so am I!

I was worried at first, however as the op said - we were all put to sleep on our fronts and I know I sleep better on my front so I have decided to stop worrying!

YodaisaCat Tue 14-Jul-09 14:06:14

I too have been putting my ds (8 weeks) to sleep on his side or front as he won't sleep on his back. He fights his way out of swaddling and so flails himself awake if he's on his back, whereas on his side or front he can reach his hands to suck them. I've been feeling guilty at flouting the recommendations but it seems to work for us and we too have a monitor and I sleep in the same room at night. We're definitely happier. Well, when he doesn't have colic... but that's another story!

tablefor3 Thu 16-Jul-09 17:46:32

Just posted about this abovbe. We were exactly the same, we worked out at about 6 weeks that DD was happier sleeping on her front.

So, after a couple of experimental naps where I watched her sleep for a couple of hours (yes smile) started to put her on her front to sleep.

However, we did check that she could turn her head even when asleep and that the sheet was taut across the mattress.

There are a number of factors for SIDS, and no guidance as to which are more important than others (I somehow doubt that they are equal). We took the view that we did not hit any of the other factors,so took a depth breathe and did it! DD is now eight months and going great guns.She has also been a pretty good sleeper too.

Hope it helps

Helen31 Thu 16-Jul-09 18:19:29

DS has slept on his side since about 13 weeks. Like tablefor3, we watched him sleep like that for a bit, to check whether he moved or not. He always had pretty good neck control, so I suspect he could move himself enough even before then to avoid any difficulties.

I am semi-convinced that the FSID advice works because neither you nor your baby ever get a decent nights' sleep...e.g. ours was too cold when we put him in the sparse layers that were recommended. He likes to be snuggly smile.

mumtoted Thu 16-Jul-09 18:21:53

Yes both my dc slept on their tummies. Now 5 & 2 and still sleep that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now