Talk

Advanced search

How do I deal with temper tantrums?

(5 Posts)
otto Thu 19-May-05 11:24:44

Ds is 14 months and has started to get very stroppy when he can't have something he wants, or do something he wants to do. He stamps his feet, throws things with force and even flings himself to the ground. What should I do about it? At the moment I ignore the tantrum and then try and distract him away from the cause. Is this the right approach? He's also started to get very clingy and wants me to pick him up all the time. This is happening at nursery too. He's very clingy with two of the carers and gets upset when he can't have their attention. Any advice on what to do?

bootsmonkey Thu 19-May-05 12:23:59

Sounds to me that you are doing it all right. Distraction, humour, ignoring, anything to diffuse the situation.

Try not to lose your temper tho' - makes you feel absolutely the lowest of the low.... I speak from experience

CADS Thu 19-May-05 13:00:42

Yip, sounds like you're doing the right thing. Just don't give him what he wants, the tantrums will get shorter and shorter. Not sure what to suggest re being clingy. DS (15mnths) has been more clingy than normal over the last couple of days. Don't know if it has anything to do with his MMR/teething, so will be watching this thread.

Repeat after me, "it's only a phase!, it's only a phase!"

otto Thu 19-May-05 13:35:53

Thanks. One of the carers at nursery made me feel really bad about it. She's done that before when ds pulled somebody's hair. She makes me feel as if I'm completely ineffectual and allow my child to be 'naughty'. He is only 14 months and this kind of behaviour is only to be expected, so I don't know why she makes a big deal about it.

CADS Thu 19-May-05 13:42:39

I would be tempted to tell her to go to h*ll. Does she have any kids?

Believe me it is very normal and after watching ds and his friend (same age) for the last 15mnths I now exactly want you mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now