Talk

Advanced search

Throwing!!!!!

(8 Posts)
madmummies Mon 13-Jul-09 18:52:49

Sorry if this has been disscussed before but we need some advice on how to stop our 22 month old ds throwing everything. He even tries throwing things that are far to heavy for him. We've tried taking the things away but he finds something else,we've tried nuaghty spots to no avail, he just thinks it's fun to throw and he is really good at it. It nearly always lands near where he is aiming.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks. x

Supercherry Mon 13-Jul-09 19:12:15

Madmummies, I read on a thread the other day about throwing being a schema. Basically part of normal child development.

here's the link

HeadFairy Mon 13-Jul-09 19:15:37

That's a fascinating read supercherry.

I too posted about ds throwing things, he was a bit younger when he started, but it was driving me crazy. Someone on here pointed out it was an important developmental step, so it became much easier to bear. He still throws things, but not nearly as much.

Supercherry Mon 13-Jul-09 19:15:47

Sorry, just realised I had given no advice whatsover.

Maybe you could try and play games where throwing is allowed. Maybe get him a little basketball hoop in the garden? When he starts throwing, take him outside to play where throwing is more acceptable.

It's probably just a phase like everything else and he needs to get it out of his system.

HeadFairy Mon 13-Jul-09 19:16:32

Forgot to add, it's about co-ordination. It's probably something to be proud of that his co-ordination is so good that he can aim something and get it to land where he wants. That's quite a skill in one so young

Supercherry Mon 13-Jul-09 19:16:52

I know HeadFairy, I thought so too when I found it on that thread the other day.

HeadFairy Mon 13-Jul-09 19:26:38

It's so funny to see it all written down like that, because ds does most of those things, much to dh's irritation (and mine sometimes) usually. It's his continuous emptying things and carrying them somewhere else, then bringing them back again. He always gets stuck on the stairs carrying a giant lorry from one toy box to the other and moans at us to come and get him

Now I shall just encourage him further!

madmummies Mon 13-Jul-09 19:36:34

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. ds also empties all his lego out then refills then starts again!!
He also loves pouring water inside but mostly outside the bath grin!
Super cherry thankyou for the link. we already try to encourage throw and catch play but i was a little concerned about encouraging behaviours. i am going to buy a little basket ball hoop for his birthday now. Good idea. smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now