Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you control a 14mo when shopping

(16 Posts)
TracyK Thu 19-May-05 09:15:13

ds is fine when supermarket shopping - quite happy in the trolley - but if I was to go clothes shopping for example - he would sit in his buggy for a while then get bored and want to get out and walk around.
He would then want to pick things up and look at them. I don't think its fair to keep taking things off him saying 'no' when he's obviously just exploring things.
Do I just postpone this type of shopping expeditions with him till he's a bit older - or are there any magic tips. or maybe keep the trips short.
ps I always feel mean keeping him in his buggy too long as I would prefer him to be active and burning off energy.

wheresmyfroggy Thu 19-May-05 09:17:02

Raisins and bananas work for a while with dd.

MarsLady Thu 19-May-05 09:18:17

I tried to never take any of my kids shopping with me. In fact I've only recently relented and started taking DD1 (10).

Mud Thu 19-May-05 09:19:40

never take the kids shopping with me (well supermarket shopping sometimes) don't like clothes shopping anyway so probably have a lower tolerance for it than the kids do try shopping online for a while but don't think it will get better when he's a little older - because it won't ..brouhahahaha

flamesparrow Thu 19-May-05 09:19:40

If you can get someone to have him while you shop, then I'd advise that! Apart from anything else, clothes shopping is sacred and is a really nice escape from mummyhood.

lima Thu 19-May-05 09:21:07

put him in nursery - that was my solution

elsmommy Thu 19-May-05 09:23:33

The cookie jar works for me
5 cookies for 2 quid, keeps her happy for a while!!
Or a wrist strap, then you could give him a pull if he tries to get anything!!

TracyK Thu 19-May-05 09:23:57

he goes to nursery till 12.45 then sleeps 1-3 - so sometimes I like to go round the shops (when its raining! in the afternoon - just to pass a couple of hours before tea time. He'd get bored in the house if he couldn't get out into the garden.
But he's not as content as he used to be to stay in the buggy - and I end up spending a fortune if I was to go to Tescos everytime!

ghosty Thu 19-May-05 09:26:27

Don't bother ...
My DS was pretty good as a toddler when shopping ... he was happy to watch people go by as long as he had food etc ...
DD is a blinking nightmare ... she is 15 months and screams when the buggy stops. If I let her get out she would leg it.
So clothes shopping is done only when necessary and at weekends when DH can be at home so I can go out.

lima Thu 19-May-05 09:33:48

Tracey - if I am going shopping to amuse the kids, I don't look at clothes - I go to the toy shop, the ELC, Woolies (toy section), shops that sell playstation games and DVDs, the Lego shop, the Disney shop....you get my drift

If I want to buy clothes I go without the kids (and don't take dh either)

loulabelle222 Thu 19-May-05 11:36:00

my ds 13 isn't a problem yet shopping but saying that he is so nosey he just loves watching people!

Flum Thu 19-May-05 11:37:58

Never go shopping with children, unless they are asleep in a buggy.

ambrosia Thu 19-May-05 11:39:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Utka Sat 21-May-05 19:08:34

If he's been asleep for 2 hours just before you go shopping, he is probably just raring to go, so if I was you, I wouldn't bother shopping in the late afternoon. (Can you go whilst he's at nursery or are you at work?). I think children also sense when you are trying to get something done that you suspect they will find boring!!

If you need to while away a few hours, what about the park, then he could run off his energy. Or would he sleep in the buggy at lunchtime whilst you shopped then?

SoBlue Sat 21-May-05 19:28:16

You could let him walk around his shops first so he's ready for the buggy in your shops. But the park is best then they have some fun and sleep while you have yours!

TracyK Sat 21-May-05 19:36:57

we normally go to the park or garden - its for the days when its miserable and want to stay indoors - but we get bored staying in.
Yes I work in the mornings while he's at nursery - so couldn't do my shopping then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now