Talk

Advanced search

Disruptive behaviour only at school

(4 Posts)
hotmomma1 Mon 13-Jul-09 11:27:56

Please help,
I have a 9 year old soon to be 10 and in his last two weeks of year 5 in primary school! He is lovely at home, very helpful, caring and well behaved (aside from the usual 9/10 year old antics). However once in school, although he can still have all of the above endearing qualities, when provoked (which seems to be incredibly frequent) he can be extremely disruptive and is often sent out of the class. This means that his work suffers and his end of year reports suggests that he is an entire year behind in some of his key subjects. I have enlisted the help of a tutor, who comes in every week and has even noticed a huge improvement in my son?s academic development; unfortunately this does not transpire on his academic record.

Both his father and I have spoken to our son to discover what seems to be the issue in school, but he usually blames other pupils. We have also arranged meetings with the teachers to suggest various methods to control him in class; however this is also to no avail!

I am absolutely petrified that my son will not be prepared for Secondary school, we are even considering have him change school for the last year, but unsure whether this will be beneficial or disruptive??

I am at the end of my tether and out of ideas?

Can someone help???

Hsl500 Mon 13-Jul-09 14:12:45

Hiya could you maybe ask him to write down why feels the way he does in school, we recently had the same with my 7yr old and it turned out although he wouldnt talk bout it he was being bullied, he wrote it down for us but has never talked about it,
I asked the school to just give him time out when was bad , give him bit of paper and a pen and leave him for a bit, he often wrote what was a matter but wouldnt gave it to the teacher we arranged a private place were he could leave the letter, she then would not confront him so he never knew we knew but it gave us an inside view of what was happening
good luck and hope things settle down for you both
hsl

hotmomma1 Mon 13-Jul-09 22:14:16

That sounds like a brilliant idea hsl... we'll definitely give it a try....
Thank you soo much

danthe4th Mon 13-Jul-09 22:30:48

I would be wanting to know why the school feels sending him out of class is the only way they can cope, perhaps your son is telling the truth that other pupils are also distracting him, the school needs a better strategy for coping with the behaviour, it is their job to teach him not for you to have to pay for a tutor. Perhaps he is feeling the pressure and is finding the work hard, perhaps he needs his confidence boosting and if the extra tuition is helping maybe it will prove to him he is more than capable to cope with the work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now